Discussion Board

Thread: tombstoning

tombstoning

Please explain me what it is. With 920, if I launch seven applications, I can return to all of them by pressing back button (or selecting from list) and they all have also their states ok. But if I launch eight app, I can't navigate back to the first anymore with states OR without.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: tombstoning

What you're seeing there is the back stack - those applications are suspended, and if there is low memory, some might be tombstoned.

When you launch the 9th app, the last app on the back stack gets popped off (ie. killed). If you were to start that last app again, it would start a fresh copy.

There is a lot of information on MSDN if you search for it...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/hh148153.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/devschool/ar...s-phone-7.aspx
    Last edited by theothernt; 2013-06-25 at 16:25.

I've searched

This is from msdn: "If an app is tombstoned and the user navigates back to the application, it will be relaunched and the application can use the preserved data to restore state."
    My question is: how do I navigate back ? Back-button doesn't "see" the tombstoned aplication.

Nokia Developer Moderator

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx says
    The device will maintain tombstoning information for up to five apps at a time.
    Simply, as it seems, infinite back-stack is not a design goal.

EDIT: this sentence comes immediately before the one you quoted...
    ("The device will maintain tombstoning information for up to five apps at a time. If an app is tombstoned and the user navigates back to the application, it will be relaunched and the application can use the preserved data to restore state.")
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-06-25 at 10:49.

When application is dropped out of the back stack, is it tombstoned or disappeared (and has to be restarted with or without data from isolated storage) ?

Tombstoned applications are part of the back-stack, that is how the entire mechanism makes sense.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pkarpion View Post
    When application is dropped out of the back stack, is it tombstoned or disappeared (and has to be restarted with or without data from isolated storage) ?
    It is killed. So when the app is launched again, it is a fresh new copy of the app.

Your app isn't notified if it is 'tombstoned', so when it resumes all of your existing resources in memory (variables, collections, etc) are NULL - this is easy to detect.

You can also implement code in a way that if your app gets killed, you allow your user to return to the place he / she was when the app starts again. My advise for this is that when your app gets tombstone, save all data that its necessary to resume the app even if its killed. That will require a bit extra code but in some cases may be interesting. And may be in fact something new because I don't know of any app that does that (keep status even if its completely killed).

Just remember that you only have a few seconds to store that data on to the isolated storage so don't try to save everything, only the required data necessary to resume.

Take a look at this:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.105%29.aspx