Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Documentation in Ecclipse?

I'm starting to write an S40 application and I may have set up my development environment wrong because I am not seeing any documentation. According to the SDK manager I have installed the documentation.

E.g.
    NoDoc.jpg

I believe that I should be seeing documentation. I would like to know a description of what each of the arguments are for drawImage for example (from javax.microedition.lcdui.graphics).
    How do I fix this?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Documentation in Ecclipse?

It is a general Eclipse phenomena in my opinion (so checking Eclipse-related sites may reveal something), I also encounter it while developing desktop Java with a vanilla JDK. When it starts listing arguments as arg0, arg1, argx, it is just completely lost. You may want to try restarting the IDE and/or reaching a point where the project can be successfully built, these things sometimes help in my case.

Btw a thing which may matter: have you ever seen the Series 40 JavaDoc in Eclipse, or is it the first try? Above I was describing a situation where things generally work, just sometimes disappear.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-06-26 at 10:37.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, when I get it working I'll keep my eye out for that!
    I haven't ever seen the documentation appear and I've installed ecclipse on 2 different machines now, Vista and Windows 7. I have a few example applications that I've imported and I've got a basic midlet running now so it doesn't appear to be what you suggest.

I'm not using any of the plugin API's like LWUIT or IAP. But I do remember in one of the webcasts that the speaker said that it was possible to add the LWUIT doc to the project preferences manually. Can I add the LCDUI, etc. documentation manually?
    I've just opened my project preferences and there's no mention of a JavaDoc library there. Could I manually add it to see if I can get some documentation working?

JavaDocSetting.jpg

Edit: I do get some documentation - e.g. I get IOException documentation. I'm pretty sure that I'm only missing documentation for the LCDUI stuff.
    Last edited by CLTSchwarz; 2013-06-27 at 01:29.

Regular Contributor

I'm still having no luck... Could you please point me to some of those eclipse websites?
    Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    It is a general Eclipse phenomena in my opinion (so checking Eclipse-related sites may reveal something), I also encounter it while developing desktop Java with a vanilla JDK. When it starts listing arguments as arg0, arg1, argx, it is just completely lost. You may want to try restarting the IDE and/or reaching a point where the project can be successfully built, these things sometimes help in my case.

Btw a thing which may matter: have you ever seen the Series 40 JavaDoc in Eclipse, or is it the first try? Above I was describing a situation where things generally work, just sometimes disappear.

Regular Contributor

I've nearly finished an app and I still don't have this documentation! It's really difficult not having the LCDUI documentation and I'm sure that I'm making bad compromises.
    If you were in my position what would you do? - Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Is it because I downloaded the JavaSE JDK rather than the JavaME JDK???
    The Nokia installer web page: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve...art/nokia_ide/ points to the JavaSE downloader.
    If you think I should download the JavaME JDK instead then I will.

Regular Contributor

I found a solution, kind of.
    If I choose Nokia Asha SDK 1.0 as the project configuartion then I get all the documentation!
    If I choose Nokia_SDK_2.0_Java as the project configuration then I loose all the documentation again.
    I can work with that.