Discussion Board

problem with displaying chinese characters

Hi everyone,

I am now writing dynamic XHTML pages with php. The page has to display chinese characters and I am testing my pages with a p800 handset and IE.

I have read from some other posts that UTF-8 is required for displaying chinese characters in XHTML. So, I changed my php files from ANSII to UTF-8. When I used IE to view the file, it works fine. However, when I used p800 to view the page, nothing appears. It seemed that the UTF-8 file encoding added some headers to the php file and those headers made the p800 unable to view the content.

Is there anyone who has successfully build a dynamic XHTML page displaying chinese character?Is there any other ways to display chinese characters other than using UTF-8?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Regular Contributor
    You need to make sure P800 can support the UTF-8 encoding in their browser. What about try another cell phone?

Thanks for your reply.
    This is the approach I used.
    First I tested the p800 with a static utf-8 xhtml with chinese characters. In this scenario, the chinese showed up well.
    Then I switched from a static xhtml to a php file. What I did is to print what the static xhtml contained. In this scenario, however, nothing showed up.
    When I executed the utf-8 php file on the web server, I saw some strange header is printed before the first line <?xml ....?> . I suspect that's why the p800 cannot display the page.

Re: problem with displaying chinese characters

Quote Originally Posted by kenny_yan View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am now writing dynamic XHTML pages with php. The page has to display chinese characters and I am testing my pages with a p800 handset and IE.

I have read from some other posts that UTF-8 is required for displaying chinese characters in XHTML. So, I changed my php files from ANSII to UTF-8. When I used IE to view the file, it works fine. However, when I used p800 to view the page, nothing appears. It seemed that the UTF-8 file encoding added some headers to the php file and those headers made the p800 unable to view the content.

Is there anyone who has successfully build a dynamic XHTML page displaying chinese character?Is there any other ways to display chinese characters other than using UTF-8?

Thanks for your kind attention.
    I had the same problem. Please help us !