Discussion Board

App runs on (Nokia asha sdk) emulator but fails on device

I am developing an app on the Nokia (eclipse) IDE for Java ME v2. It runs smoothly on the Nokia Asha SDK emulator but when I transfer to my device however (Nokia Asha 310), I get an illegal argument error. I am using the TextEditor and Gestures classes in com.nokia.mid.ui and can't help but think the nokiaapi library is not exported with the project.

I tried some of the sample codes that came with the IDE and they run perfectly on the emulator but fail on real device as well.

Anyone with similar issue? How do I fix this?

Regular Contributor

Re: App runs on (Nokia asha sdk) emulator but fails on device

Quote Originally Posted by kehers View Post
    I am developing an app on the Nokia (eclipse) IDE for Java ME v2. It runs smoothly on the Nokia Asha SDK emulator but when I transfer to my device however (Nokia Asha 310), I get an illegal argument error. I am using the TextEditor and Gestures classes in com.nokia.mid.ui and can't help but think the nokiaapi library is not exported with the project.

I tried some of the sample codes that came with the IDE and they run perfectly on the emulator but fail on real device as well.

Anyone with similar issue? How do I fix this?
    Hi kehers,
    Thanks for bringing this forward.
    FYI, the new Nokia Asha SDK contains new APIs that are not supported on earlier series 40 Nokia phones including the Nokia Asha 310 device. That's why you get that error on a Nokia Asha 310. However, the right device for testing this would be the new Nokia Asha 501.
    I suggest you use the Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java which contains the Nokia Asha 305 emulator.
    I hope you find this info useful.

Regards,
    Denis

Thanks so much for the reply Pidenox.

I took time to do an extensive debugging this morning by removing the implemented nokia ui apis one after the other. I found out that the cause of the error is the Gesture api. Apparently, I will have to write my own gesture class. TextEditor is ok. The Nokia ui api documentation stated it to be since v 1.4. Checked the Asha 310 and it runs on nokia api 1.6. However, it seems it won't work on older phones. So I might as well be removing it too. Generally, I think I will just avoid using the ui apis.

And just by the way, I think there should be a changelog of the [Nokia] UI apis and phones supporting what version.

Once again, thanks so much for the reply.

I will have to write my own gesture class. […] I will just avoid using the UI APIs.
    You are able to load the extension dynamically. Are you aware of that?
    I think there should be a changelog of the [Nokia] UI apis and phones supporting what version.
    Does this help?

Thanks. The link helped.