Discussion Board

Question to Nokia QA team: Will our game be rejected?

So, as we're getting closer to finishing our game-project, I figured I'd try publishing another app at Nokia Store first, just to try it out and see what kind of obstacles there might be.

The QA team rejects the app at first because I wrote a link to our amateurish sparetime company site www.lublu.dk as a support-site - and that site (obviously) contains presentations of other stuff we've done. This is not allowed.

So that made me think of our current game-project. We currently have a "Want to share your score?" popup when a game is over. If the user chooses to share his score, he can choose where to share it, e.g. Facebook or SMS etc. A sharing message looks like this:

"Hi! I just scored 48234 in <game-name>! Can you beat that?! www.<gamename>.com"

Now, there's a link again, to an external site. And here's what I have in mind for that site:

It will check if the user agent string contains "Nokia", and then redirect to Nokia Store if so.
    It will check if the user agent string contains "Android", and then redirect to Google Play if so.
    (Currently no other versions available, but there might be later).

If the user agent string does not contain "Nokia" or "Android", the site will display a presentation of the game, and display the download links available. This will be helpful for users of JavaME enabled phones that are NOT Nokia.

And so the question is of course: Will our game be rejected by Nokia QA team because of this? Will it be rejected because the sharing text contains a link to www.<gamename>.com which contains links to other places than Nokia Store?

I'm guessing yes, based on our other app being rejected for linking to our own site (in the app description). If so, I have to say I find it very silly. How are our players supposed to spread the game between each other transparent of platform then? I want an Android user to be able to send an SMS to a Nokia user, and vice versa. The Android SMS should not only contain a link to the Android version, and the Nokia SMS should not only contain a link to the Nokia version. The link should detect which phone it is, and then redirect accordingly.

What says you QA team?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Question to Nokia QA team: Will our game be rejected?

If you have a specific question to the QA/Nokia store team then i maybe you should look at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...hing-questions
    it should give you better response than the general developer forum here.
    Also you can email developer.support@nokia.com for Nokia store questions.

In my opinion the external url shouldnt be a problem if your doing what you say your doing with user-agent detection but thats just my opinion

Thanks Shai.

I wrote them a mail. :-)

Well, I don't think they read the post properly, because they clearly misunderstood and didn't give me a reply to the question. They thought I was asking about the previous app, rather than our current game project. Replying them telling them they misunderstood, did not spawn a reply.

Anyway, the reason for rejecting the previous app because the app description contained a link to our website, had this line: "Links to download the same content or other related content should be linked to the Nokia Store instead of the publisher’s own website or other distribution channels."

That line tells me, that if we want to publish our current game project on Nokia Store, then we will have to drop the Share-your-score functionality. I don't want to do that, because Sharing a score is a vital part of the game.

So at the moment I'm thinking we won't be publishing on Nokia Store. Not this time anyway.

Nokia Developer Champion

I dont think they will disqualify your app because of the share-you-score functionality that contains the link to your site.
    Try and publish it, the QA ppl are generally reasonable and if you'll come across problems after you try and publish it you can always contact them and explain the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by misthalu View Post
    Anyway, the reason for rejecting the previous app because the app description contained a link to our website, had this line: "Links to download the same content or other related content should be linked to the Nokia Store instead of the publisher’s own website or other distribution channels."
    Could the problem be that you had links to other places besides Nokia Store, that allowed downloading a different version of the same application for Nokia devices? Eg. Android Market or App Store links would be ok, but a link to the app on Handango wouldn't.

A lot of apps have the support link pointing to the developer's website and have App Store and Android Market links there, two examples:
    Angry Birds (Rovio): http://store.ovi.com/content/61009
    Slice Ice (Hyperkani): http://store.ovi.com/content/231488
    Last edited by TongMuan; 2013-07-05 at 17:30.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    Could the problem be that you had links to other places besides Nokia Store, that allowed downloading a different version of the same application for Nokia devices? Eg. Android Market or App Store links would be ok, but a link to the app on Handango wouldn't.

A lot of apps have the support link pointing to the developer's website and have App Store and Android Market links there, two examples:
    Angry Birds (Rovio): http://store.ovi.com/content/61009
    Slice Ice (Hyperkani): http://store.ovi.com/content/231488
    Good question. It does strike me as a little odd that Rovio and Hyperkani is allowed to link to their sites, when they too contain lots of examples of other apps they've done, which can be bought at other stores.

So I guess you must be right, that the problem with our site is that the JavaME version of our stuff is linked to at e.g. mobilerated.com too. (Or just direct download from our own site).

That principle I really can't agree with though.

I want to post a link to www.<gamename>.com (both at the support-site field, AND in the share message), and the game-site WILL contain links to places other than Nokia Store to get the game, possibly we'll serve the game directly from the site, useful to owners of Sony Ericsson or Samsung JavaME enabled devices. And as far as I can tell, that is what Nokia doesn't allow then.

I want users to be able to choose. First of all because not all brands has a JavaME store anymore, but even Nokia-phone owners shouldn't be forced to get the game from Nokia Store, if they want to get it directly from the game-site, or any other place. If that's not possible when publishing at Nokia Store, then I'll have to pass.