Discussion Board

Clicks not showing in dashboard / analyses

Greetings!

I'm a Windows Phone developer and i create apps for Windows Phone 7 & 8. Two weeks ago i started using the NAX component to show ads in my apps. My apps are far from popular, but i do manage to show up to 1000+ ads per day.

Alongside the NAX component i have a little reporting API that keeps track of events in the apps, such as navigation, clicks, ads loading and also ads being clicked on. Data is reported to a small webservice i have running on my personal site. The same system was in place when i used advertisement APIs from other parties such as Microsoft AppCenter, AdMob, Smaato and MobFox.

Summary of my problem (In case you don't want to read the full story)
    I'm seeing large difference in click counts when i compare my eventlog with the NAX dashboard. My logs show 10 clicks on one day and NAX shows 1. This difference was never the case with the other APIs. Am i the only one suffering from this? Am i missing something here?

Support request
    I've submitted a total of 3 questions via the 'Contact Support' button in the NAX portal. No response at all, not even a confirmation e-mail that confirms my question has been received. First request was a week ago, two others followed afterwards.

Details on how i register clicks
    Let's have a look at today's log...
    Click #1; 05:50:39 AM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: nl-NL; Device ID: 5c21NHJW1f0Xs2XKoFqKrMWjFeI=;
    Click #2; 05:50:39 AM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: nl-NL; Device ID: 5c21NHJW1f0Xs2XKoFqKrMWjFeI=;
    Click #3; 11:53:50 AM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: en-GB; Device ID: eDN893dC24LPDi9R2jXsWhBn19M=;
    Click #4; 11:57:53 AM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: en-GB; Device ID: S3vRlhhur6DgEUk /PSYoD6LyVo=;
    Click #5; 02:09:18 PM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: it-IT; Device ID: Gb2RtfgFplUeCdyXfHZ4c KQiZ8=;
    Click #6; 04:06:25 PM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: en-GB; Device ID: HV3MJkD3z5JNYlT/mTwuWm2Yhxs=;
    Click #7; 06:28:43 PM; Application ID: #####_APP2_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: en-GB; Device ID: uYHTtSKLdc8f84BCjNbXaz7jQSk=;
    Click #8; 06:35:15 PM; Application ID: #####_APP2_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: en-GB; Device ID: uYHTtSKLdc8f84BCjNbXaz7jQSk=;
    Click #9; 08:31:12 PM; Application ID: #####_APP1_WP; Ad Network: NAX; Event: ADCLICKED; Culture: en-GB; Device ID: twxzGjDfT0RzOxpE15XjnrtLNOM=;

Rough data shows 9 clicks, but some i don't count. Click #1 and #2 are the same; user must have double-clicked. Clicks #7 and #8 are obviously not a double-click, but they are somewhat close in time and same device... so let's just count 1 as well. And #9 has not been processed yet by the dashboard at this time. So that leaves a total of 6 clicks. NAX Dashboard only shows 2 clicks. As far as i can tell NAX only registered click #1 and click #5. The rest is simply ignored or so it seems.

Data to support my claim
    So based on the same logic i used above to tell you about today's results, i'll give you an overview of the 2 weeks i've been using NAX.

June 23th 2013: 3 clicks in logs; 2 clicks registered by NAX; 1 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    June 24th 2013: 2 clicks in logs; 1 clicks registered by NAX; 1 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    June 25th 2013: 0 clicks in logs; 0 clicks registered by NAX; 0 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    June 26th 2013: 6 clicks in logs; 2 clicks registered by NAX; 4 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    June 27th 2013: 0 clicks in logs; 0 clicks registered by NAX; 0 clicks not showing on dashboard;

June 28th 2013: 8 clicks in logs; 5 clicks registered by NAX; 3 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    June 29th 2013: 14 clicks in logs; 9 clicks registered by NAX; 5 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    June 30th 2013: 10 clicks in logs; 6 clicks registered by NAX; 4 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    July 1st 2013: 8 clicks in logs; 4 clicks registered by NAX; 4 clicks not showing on dashboard;
    July 2nd 2013: 8 clicks in logs; 2 clicks registered by NAX; 6 clicks not showing on dashboard;

When i'm saying "clicks not showing on dashboard" i mean that i've selected all my apps (no filters) for the mentioned day. I then take the sum of all clicks mentioned at the bottom of the table.

It goes without saying that the above amount of clicks won't make me rich, so it's not about the revenue at all. I just want to know how this difference in data is being caused.
    Thanks for the info and help. It's very much appreciated.
    Greetings,
    Rob

Edit log: filled in the full day results of July 2nd 2013
    Last edited by AppRookie; 2013-07-03 at 06:55.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Clicks not showing in dashboard / analyses

I'm not part of NAX or InnerActive, but could this maybe be due to the ads that were clicked werent CPC ads but rather CPM ads? and thus counting their clicks isnt needed?
    Or maybe those were HOUSE-ADS which are not paid ads and again no need to count their clicks?
    can you add to your logs if the ad is HOUSE AD or Paid AD?

Good remark, however... i can't really see what kind of ad is being shown. That makes it difficult for me to see if its a CPC or CPM.

The only thing i can really track are the following events as far as i can see: adreceived, defaultadreceived, adfailed and adclicked.

As for house-ads... i take it your talking abou the ability to run personal campaigns in your on apps? I'm not using that option currently.

On saying all that, thanks for the different 'view' on this. I had not concidered that the type of ad could be the cause of clicks not showing. Thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

House Ads are actually not only for your personal campaigns on your apps, it might not be so known for new InnerActive users but they actually use your Ad space to show house ads from their own network (i.e. select apps that choose) incase they cant find a paid ad, if i'm not mistaken there should be a way to disable it in the SDK but i dont remember.

Quote Originally Posted by AppRookie View Post
    The only thing i can really track are the following events as far as i can see: adreceived, defaultadreceived, adfailed and adclicked.
    AFAIK, DefaultAdReceived event means that it's a house ad.

Also, I haven't really used Windows Phone, but, at least on Symbian and S40, one more possibility for the clicks not registering might be that the user clicked the ad by accident and managed to cancel the page load or close the browser before Inneractive web server got the page load request.
    Last edited by TongMuan; 2013-07-04 at 07:14.

Tongmuan: Good suggestion that. The Windows Phone always has a 'back' button that can be pressed to cancel the ad opening. Perhaps i can catch that and combine it with the click log. A clicked followed by the back button being pressed would indicate what you're describing. I'll try and pick that one up.

Shai.i: Thanks for that one. I've managed to come in contact with one of the Inneractive support members. I'll try to figure out if what you're saying is correct and i'll post it here on the boards.