Discussion Board

QR code scanner web app in nokia s40 mobile series

i want to write web application for nokia s40 series mobiles using nokia web app tools which will scan a qr code and send its content to server.if it is possible then please provide me links or information to get started.Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: QR code scanner web app in nokia s40 mobile series

You will need camera input and some mathematics for that. The FAQ (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...web_apps_-_FAQ) suggests that there is some support for image capture, also see the documentation http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou..._apps_library/
    For the processing part, you can experiment with any algorithm you find on the Internet, of course it has to be JavaScript or has to be converted to JavaScript.

Regular Contributor

Hello hsta,

For me it sounds like a bad idea. S40-WebApps are using Server-Proxy and therefore not the right technology for this. You will have to be an javascript expert to make this somehow work, but the results will still be bad, as it will not be interactive enough. The picture must be taken, uploaded to the server (an a picture is quite big in network traffic), processed and the results send back. it will need many seconds, or even minutes. After it you might just get that the QR-code was not recognized. Your users will be unhappy.

You can use Java J2ME to scan QR-code, for example with ZXing. This is much more interactive.
    Then you can, if you like, open a web page. Or just communicate with the server and show in the java programm what ever data you want to show.

Regards

Karsten Meier

Thanks to both of you(wizard_hu_ and internetlabor) for your replies.
    As internetlabor suggested
    i tried to write an application in j2me to scan qr code using open source QR code library, but results are not very good as many times my application fails to decode the qr. so i wanted to know whether it is possible to scan the QR code using "open source QR code library"or any other library on J2me which like Zxing on Andoid won't have to capture the image but just place it in viewfinder and app itself scans ,identifies the QR code and decodes it.

Regular Contributor

Hello Aaron,

welcome to Nokia Forum boards.
    QR-code generation is different QR-code scanning. There are very different solutions for it.
    So you get better answers when you start your a new thread. And for the reader it is nicer when you not discussing two different problems.
    Are you sure that you want a S40-WebApp? If not, please post in one of the S40 Java Forum.

Regards

Karsten Meier

Nokia Developer Moderator

Internetlabor: arronlee's post was a spam actually, just the links were styled to be black. Today we got a few similar ones. These recent additions are going to be removed in a couple days.