Discussion Board

Question Firmware Developer Requirement

1st off, I don't know if this is the right section to post this at. If it's not, please move to the right section. (I've looked around and this was the section which best fitted my subject)

Oh yeah, and as this is my very first post I'd like to say thanks for joining the community. =)

Okay, so let's get to it. I've been looking for a long (really long) time now, on Nokia's official website, support, forums and now at the development community.

The question is: Is there someone over here able to or responsible for firmware development/enhancement? I'm trying to find an individual to ask for a few features to be added in S40 phones (Feedback).
    Obs.: I currently have two S40 phones: Asha 302 and C3-00.

I highly appreciate your help.

Regards,

Gabriel

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Firmware Developer Requirement

there is no ways on modifying firmwares of Asha devices by 3rd party developers, so you would not be finding one for the task. Anyway, what excatly you would want to do ? there could indeed be chance on doing it as normal 3rd party application without modifying the firmware.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi, this entire site is about support for 3rd party software developers. For example if you are planning to create an application/game, this is the site where you can download the necessary tools, get the necessary documentation, and discuss problems you encounter during development. So this particular board is related to User Experience in the sense of you can discuss strategies for laying out your content, or just details how various input controls behave, how you can add support for more exotic languages, etc.
    The actual developers of device firmwares are not here, and I can not wholeheartidly say that you can reach them on the device support boards, http://www.nokia.com/discussions, but that would be the place for user feedback in theory. You can still try, the same user account you are using here also works there. For the devices you list, the Nokia C3-00 is 3.5 years old, so it probably will not get too groundbreaking new features even if Nokia happens to release new firmwares to it.

Lightbulb Re: Firmware Developer Requirement

Oh guys, I really appreciate your help! Didn't think it was that fast. =P

So @wizard_hu_ I'll check on that, but as you said, and it's true indeed, probably they won't accept as a formal feedback for future updates as these are old phones =/
    But I'll give it a shot anyways. After I created this post here I headed over there to ask the same thing.

And @symbianyucca, there are a few minor options which the current Firmware doesn't support.

Here are they:
    (Obs.: These are personal notes, that's why they're referring as "you" in subject. But consider as someone else.)

1 - Can't you place an option on the Lights Settings to dim the phone screen? I'd like to set the screen darker because it hurts my eyes with that brightful screen.

2 - Can't set Wireless as the default, and only, connection method. I don't want to use the data packets as they charge me a fee to use EDGE/GPRS/3G signal (Or either option to enable/disable it completely).
    2.1 - On the Packet Data Settings, please set an option to disable completely. WhatsApp keeps reconnecting itself because of this option. (There are currently "When needed" and "Always online" only)

3 - Enable Multitasking*. - For Elmo's sake, I can't understand how come S40 smartphones doesn't have such feature!!! Please release this feature in the next updates! I've been really waiting for this for a long time.

* I know there are tutorials enabling to force the phone multitasking, but they may void the warranty of the phones. So I'd like to see an official release update.

As these are Firmware specific questions, probably the only solution would be to release an update enabling these options. Maybe 3rd Party apps would get it done, but they may harm the current Firmware installed, as it's a phone Flashing mod. =/
    But, once again, I really appreciate your help =)

Regards,

Gabriel

Nokia Developer Champion

as for the mobile data you can simply delete all your access points and then the phone will not be able to connect to mobile data at all
    go to settings=>connectivity=>mobile data=>access point and delete them all.

Well @shai.i, I've considered that, but actually if I did so, it wouldn't be possible to re-enable that option. I just wanted to switch via an option within the Data Packets menu. That's why I'm asking to add such setting. =/

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by K0media;9215323 - [B
    Enable Multitasking*[/B]. - For Elmo's sake, I can't understand how come S40 smartphones doesn't have such feature!!! Please release this feature in the next updates! I've been really waiting for this for a long time.
    S40/Asha phones are not really smartphones. Series 40 is an old Nokia "real-time OS" where very little multitasking support is exposed. The OS multitasks what it needs, but is very restricted as to what user-installable applications are allowed to do. I'm not sure of the exact state of things nowadays, but earlier, only Nokia-signed (manufacturer signed) Java MIDlets could operate in the background (might also have required use of private APIs). So, the only "multitasking" for Java developers used to be the ability to use the push registry to wake up MIDlets not running at the time.

If you want a proper smartphone, you'd better look at other platforms than Series 40.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    S40/Asha phones are not really smartphones. Series 40 is an old Nokia "real-time OS" where very little multitasking support is exposed. The OS multitasks what it needs, but is very restricted as to what user-installable applications are allowed to do. I'm not sure of the exact state of things nowadays, but earlier, only Nokia-signed (manufacturer signed) Java MIDlets could operate in the background (might also have required use of private APIs). So, the only "multitasking" for Java developers used to be the ability to use the push registry to wake up MIDlets not running at the time.

If you want a proper smartphone, you'd better look at other platforms than Series 40.

@petrib, I really appreciate your comment! I was just giving it a try because I got two S40 phones: Asha 302 and C3-00. I'm just trying to see if there's any hope before I discard them. But even so, there is a huge mass of population over here in Brazil that uses S40 phones (mostly because the C3 phones were a fever, due to it's price and versatility for social media sites/services). I've been surprised how come S40 phones supports WhatsApp and Viber. Unluckily, there's a small issue about WhatsApp: it keeps reconnecting over and over, and there's no way to stop it unless uninstalling.

Anyways... I'll just give another shot before getting an Android. I know Androids should solve most of my problems, but at this moment, they're kinda expensive now. If I sell those phones, probably I'll be able to afford one. (Just wish me luck for selling those phones quickly! =P )

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by K0media View Post
    @petrib, I really appreciate your comment! I was just giving it a try because I got two S40 phones: Asha 302 and C3-00. I'm just trying to see if there's any hope before I discard them. But even so, there is a huge mass of population over here in Brazil that uses S40 phones (mostly because the C3 phones were a fever, due to it's price and versatility for social media sites/services). I've been surprised how come S40 phones supports WhatsApp and Viber. Unluckily, there's a small issue about WhatsApp: it keeps reconnecting over and over, and there's no way to stop it unless uninstalling.

Anyways... I'll just give another shot before getting an Android. I know Androids should solve most of my problems, but at this moment, they're kinda expensive now. If I sell those phones, probably I'll be able to afford one. (Just wish me luck for selling those phones quickly! =P )
    This is why s40 phone is cheap because it is not a smartphone.Even if you were to buy android device,not all device support full multitask.I never use android but an info from other developers,only android 4.0 onward that support full multitasking.Even then that os is known to terminate unused app.If you intend to just buy a cheap android device,they likely to use older version android which only pause the app rather than minimize and run in background.So do pay attention what android version the device use before buying them.

Only symbian os is know to have full multitasking abilitis with preemptive multitask.The app that you forgot to close will continue running until you close it yourself.Currently window 8 only pause the rather that running background so it also doesn't support full multitask though it do got "fast resume "so app can restore quite fast.Even that if not mistaken only seven apps is allow to pause,try to open more app result in first opened app terminate

Which os you want to use is ow up to you

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    This is why s40 phone is cheap because it is not a smartphone.Even if you were to buy android device,not all device support full multitask.I never use android but an info from other developers,only android 4.0 onward that support full multitasking.Even then that os is known to terminate unused app.If you intend to just buy a cheap android device,they likely to use older version android which only pause the app rather than minimize and run in background.So do pay attention what android version the device use before buying them.

Only symbian os is know to have full multitasking abilitis with preemptive multitask.The app that you forgot to close will continue running until you close it yourself.Currently window 8 only pause the rather that running background so it also doesn't support full multitask though it do got "fast resume "so app can restore quite fast.Even that if not mistaken only seven apps is allow to pause,try to open more app result in first opened app terminate

Which os you want to use is ow up to you

@babylongreece, yeah I agree that those not smartphones. They're just entitled like that because they have more capabilities than an ordinary phone, i.e. a phone with minimum features, calling and a few java apps.

About Android phones... Well, I'm looking forward acquiring an above v4.0, like Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean. I'm more emphasized with them because, besides an open-source platform, it has a wide range of helpful apps. It may not have full multitasking features, but since it runs apps on background being able to be restored/minimized, I'd prefer that than a S40 phone, for sure. =)

K0media, because your questions are answered on Nokia Discussions zillion times, you are asking silly questions.
    Can't you place an option on the Lights Settings to dim the phone screen?
    Some phones have this option. All of these phones models do not have a hardware light sensor. Consequently, you should ask: Why is the default brightness too high?
    Can't set Wireless as the default, and only, connection method.
    The latest Series 40 phone do have this option. Before that, one option it to ask your network provider to turn of packet data for your account. Several operators on this world allow this on the fly, using special menus or USSD codes.
    Enable Multitasking
    Go for the tutorials. They do not hurt.

To answer you initial question: Nokia thinks they do not have to address these issues which exist for more than six years. Go figure!
    It is useless to ‘discuss’ this. For example, multitasking works since the year 2007. However, still today is not public.