Discussion Board

What are the possible device exceptions due to which data is not displaying on device

I am working on s40 apps. What are the possible device exceptions due to which rms database is not displaying on phone?

Regular Contributor

Re: What are the possible device exceptions due to which data is not displaying on de

Some of the possible exceptions are :

RecordStoreNotFoundException
    RecordStoreFullException
    RecordStoreNotOpenException
    RecordStoreException

Is this what you were looking for ?

Re: What are the possible device exceptions due to which data is not displaying on de

I mentioned all these exceptions in my code but no exception is thrown while running code on emulator. but when i run on device it is showing "project running nothing to display" . I know the real output is that on a device but i just used example codes of rms available on internet. What extra thing i should do.. Is there any setting , path or anything that i am missing about saving rms?

Nokia Developer Moderator

You might want to debug and see what is being executed when you run it in the device.

ok can i have debugging tutorial link. step by step discription?

Nokia Developer Champion

before that are you sure your datastore contains some data, or you just have an empty data store and thats why nothing is coming out. This is a of course a very basic question but can happen !!

i dont know . Maximum i can check only in emulator and it is showing data. I used getnumrecords() function and it is giving me number of records but it is not displaying on phone. So i am not sure it is saving or not. Is there any means i get to know this. I am getting problem in debugging for which i posted one question too

You could try logging to a file. It's not hard to do it yourself (just write lines to a text file), but there's also a lot of ready made solutions too, for example:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ol_for_Java_ME

If file logging seems like too much work and you already know where the problem is, you could just show a dialog with details of the problem. For example, if you know/assume that you're getting an exception during RecordStore handling, just show a dialog with exception details in the catch block.

Quote Originally Posted by Manpreet_Singh View Post
    I mentioned all these exceptions in my code but no exception is thrown while running code on emulator. but when i run on device it is showing "project running nothing to display" . I know the real output is that on a device but i just used example codes of rms available on internet. What extra thing i should do.. Is there any setting , path or anything that i am missing about saving rms?
    As far as i know there wont be any change with respect to RMS from emulator to phone . Please check whether the rms is getting created
    in the phone you can browse the file system and can search for the file on the phone . Also please do share
    the phone and model number you are using for testing .
    Regards,
    Venkatesh

ok I am using asha 310
    Last edited by Manpreet_Singh; 2013-07-15 at 09:03.

Regular Contributor

If it is still not working, please do the share the relevant code snippets where you create/edit/write to RMS.
    Last edited by arunkam; 2013-07-15 at 20:15.

http://www.roseindia.net/j2me/read-write-rms.shtml this example i was working with . I removed the deleterecordstore function . Rest is as in code

Nokia Developer Moderator

Log/display whatever exception you get. Start from the beginning, so the RecordStore.openRecordStore. If it fails, the rest of the code certainly can not work. If it succeeds, continue with the next one (perhaps some addRecord call). And so on.
    There is no other way, and it is only you who can do it.

EDIT: of course it applies to exceptions/crashes you encounter. Your other thread, http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...a-diffrent-way, suggests that you may expect data to be present in an empty RMS. That certainly will not happen, and you would need to pre-fill the RMS as described if you need some default content.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-07-15 at 11:59.

ok thanks wizard