Discussion Board

Nokia Asha Background Process

Hello,

Having now understood the nokia access rights I have come up against issue. I would like to run a background process on a Nokia Asha 501 which sync's with a server every 6 hours sending the location of the phone. Now, I'm sure this is impossible with the basic nokia access rights but... the app is never going to be released. I want to use it for some research and therefore only need to install it on 1 phone.

Is it possible to override nokia access rights on a single device? Or is there any way I can do this?

Thanks

Patrick

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia Asha Background Process

Background processing is not available for 3rd party developers.

Hello,
    since you are targeting a Nokia Asha 501, you could see if Nokia Notification can be a valid workaround for your needs:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...fications.html
    or take a look at push applications:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...lications.html

regards
    pg

Nokia Developer Champion

You actually cant use Push notification for this since the app will be launched only if the notification is selected by the user in the UI,
    HOWEVER this can be done with PushRegistery in the following manner: you load the app , the app register an alarm for +6 hours from now then sends its current location and then closes itself, then this is repeated everytime the app gets reload with the alarm.
    a couple of things you need to know: you need permission to use PushRegistery so the app needs to be signed (i'm not sure if Alarm type registery can be used for 3rd party trusted domain in Asha 501 but this can easily be checked) and when the app gets launched due to the alarm it is shown on the phone screen its not in the background.

Ok, no background processing. Could I use the PushRegistry to open the MIDlet periodically. Can you disable the message asking for permission to launch the MIDlet? Again, I only want to do this on a single personal device (it's not for release).

So as far as I can work out... I can't use a background process. I can't use Push Notifications (these don't get delivered to the app if it closed, as shai.i has already discussed). I can't use PushRegistery because it's impossible to get rid of the permission screen before the app opens. This is true even if you have the app signed for $300 a year - complete madness. And so I can only deduce that its impossible. Somebody please correct me if im wrong or ill go back to the iphone/android day job.

Thanks

Patrick

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by patrickholroyd View Post
    So as far as I can work out... I can't use a background process. I can't use Push Notifications (these don't get delivered to the app if it closed, as shai.i has already discussed). I can't use PushRegistery because it's impossible to get rid of the permission screen before the app opens. This is true even if you have the app signed for $300 a year - complete madness. And so I can only deduce that its impossible. Somebody please correct me if im wrong or ill go back to the iphone/android day job.

Thanks

Patrick
    Iphone/android both use os with smartphone capabilities.Nokia asha is based on s40 os which used on nokia previous feature phone with the Ui rewrite to make it more current only.Nokia asha can't even multitask.Users need to close one app before can open another.A lot users complain on nokia facebook page about this issue.In my opinion,nokia is very wrong at promoting asha as a smartphone when it doesn't have smartphone capabilities.Just the phone support gps does't mean it is "smart".

I think it works for signed apps. WhatsApp and new version of facebook app starts when there's new message or notification. This means that they use internet even when they are closed. There's an app named "Nokia notification enabler" that allows us to modify other apps and make them do the same with in our mobile.

Patrick, the Nokia 501 is build on the new Asha software platform. Until today, we have not idea how to override the Java access rights. However, if you go for a Nokia Series 40 phone, or a Nokia Symbian phone, for these two platforms, there are a lot of guides how to overcome the Java rights for your own device.

Is background processing still not available for 3rd-party developers?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by xwatt View Post
    No, it is not available.

Quote Originally Posted by xwatt View Post
    Officially, no, you have to use push notification or push registry. However, on Series 40 you can hack your device to enable and test it.