Discussion Board

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Nokia Imaging SDK Feedback (Competition)

Pedro, we unfortunately found a major issue with the solution you proposed: it doesn't work when updating the libraries using NuGet, for example from 0.9.1 to 0.9.2. The problem is that Nuget only runs install.ps1 on new installations, not during updates. And updates do modify the hint path back to the original value (with the X86 in the path).

NuGet doesn't seem to provide a script that is run during updates. We're now investigating whether there would be a way to add the references from the install script and not from NuGet... that could potentially work but that doesn't quite sound like the right thing to do.

We are all hear for all ideas that would help us workaround that limitation !

Nokia Developer Moderator

You have 3 scripts that will run with nuget:

- Init.ps1 runs on the first time a package is installed on a solution
    - Install.ps1 runs when is installed in a project. (runs after Init.ps1)
    - Uninstall.ps1 runs when a package is uninstalled.

This seems to be a limitation on nuget.

I'm not a nuget expert but isn't there a way to require an uninstall before installing a new version? I dont think the steps to install the SDK are too complicated but I think it would be better to do this as automatic as possible because it will be a pain point.

Quote Originally Posted by lemieux View Post
    Pedro, we unfortunately found a major issue with the solution you proposed: it doesn't work when updating the libraries using NuGet, for example from 0.9.1 to 0.9.2. The problem is that Nuget only runs install.ps1 on new installations, not during updates. And updates do modify the hint path back to the original value (with the X86 in the path).

NuGet doesn't seem to provide a script that is run during updates. We're now investigating whether there would be a way to add the references from the install script and not from NuGet... that could potentially work but that doesn't quite sound like the right thing to do.

We are all hear for all ideas that would help us workaround that limitation !
    Instead of Install.ps1, you could use Init.ps1. This runs everytime you open the solution, so I guess it would deal with that scenario.

Edit: Nope, this would not be a good option. Also, you have no guarantee that Init.ps1 will run. And sometimes it runs twice. I have another idea in mind, will test it and if it works, i'll let you know.

Edit2: Ok, here's an update that seems to work and cover the update issue:

NuGet >2.5 supports .targets files (http://docs.nuget.org/docs/creating-...hing-a-package)

I created a new package in my local repository, which is just like the NokiaImagingSDK, but with a few differences:

Added a new file under \build\wp8 called NokiaImagingSDK.targets

<Project xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
    <Target Name="CheckAnyCPU" Condition="('$(Platform)' != 'x86') AND ('$(Platform)' != 'ARM')" BeforeTargets="BeforeBuild">
    <Error Text="Nokia Imaging SDK does not support the $(Platform) target platform. Please select either X86 or ARM." />
    </Target>

<Target Name="AddNokiaReferences" BeforeTargets="ResolveAssemblyReferences" >
    <ItemGroup>
    <Reference Include="Nokia.Graphics.Imaging">
    <HintPath>packages\NokiaImagingSDK.0.9.2\lib\wp8\$(Platform)\Nokia.Graphics.Imaging.winmd</HintPath>
    </Reference>
    <Reference Include="Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime">
    <HintPath>packages\NokiaImagingSDK.0.9.2\lib\wp8\$(Platform)\Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.winmd</HintPath>
    </Reference>
    </ItemGroup>
    </Target>
    </Project>

And edited the .nuspec file to remove these 2 references, the .targets file will add them during the build process:
    <reference file="Nokia.Graphics.Imaging.winmd" />
    <reference file="Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime.winmd" />

And that's it. I tested the update scenario and all seems to be working well.
    Last edited by PedroQ; 2013-07-22 at 13:33.

This is not a direct feedback on Nokia Imaging SDK but there is a problem with some of the samples. Take RealtimeFilterDemo for example, click back from about page causes the app to crash.

Steps to replicate are as follows:
    1. Launch the app
    2. Click 'About' from the menu bar
    3. Click the back button to come back to the main page
    4. Click 'About' from the menu bar
    5. Click the back button
    6. This time the app crashes and you cannot see anything from the viewfinder.

First of all, the SDK looks good. Great Job Nokia team! Second, there are some minor improvements that can go further. Currently it is very hard for me to know what kind of settings or parameters are valid for each of the effects. For example, If I am applying a Sketch effect, how do I discover all the parameters that can be tweaked to enhance the image. It is not easy to discover those settings easily from the current SDK. Of course, I can learn to know them from using demo samples but it will be nice to include this in the object graph in a consistent way.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus9 View Post
    Take RealtimeFilterDemo for example, click back from about page causes the app to crash.
    Thanks Perseus9, the issue is easy to reproduce, we will soon fix it. That is something our QA should have found :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mansewiz View Post
    Thanks Perseus9, the issue is easy to reproduce, we will soon fix it. That is something our QA should have found :-(
    What is the fix?

The RenderToImageAsync method will throw an exception if the Image object has no fixed dimensions in the XAML.

Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: pixelWidth

This is my Image control: <Image Grid.Row="1" x:Name="filterImage" />

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus9 View Post
    What is the fix?
    Perseus9 we uploaded the fix yesterday, you can now find it in our documentation pages, or straight from GIT in Nokia developers Projects.
    The problem is a bug in the MediaElement that doesn't properly release it's source ( the camera in this case) when navigating away from a Page. We now force the MediaElement construction and destruction from code behind on navigation events. That ensure that MediaElement releases the camera properly.

Whenever I add the SDK to any project I lose the option to use the memory profiler in the debug menu. (option is missing) Am I doing something wrong?

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by PedroQ View Post
    And that's it. I tested the update scenario and all seems to be working well.
    Amazing! Thanks again PedroQ. We have been testing this solution, it delivered beyond expectations. We will be rolling it out real soon.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by RagBuster View Post
    Whenever I add the SDK to any project I lose the option to use the memory profiler in the debug menu. (option is missing) Am I doing something wrong?
    In WP8, the memory profiler is only available for pure managed apps. The Nokia Imaging SDK is a native library: including it to your application transforms your application into a mixed-mode application, disabling the possibility of memory profiling. A very severe limitation of the WP8 tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansewiz View Post
    Amazing! Thanks again PedroQ. We have been testing this solution, it delivered beyond expectations. We will be rolling it out real soon.
    Awesome, glad I could help!

Nokia Developer Champion

Api is young but really nice :
    • With RAJPEG technology, sdk can use very high image files. It decode only pixels used. So memory use is very low.
    • You add filter like a pipeline. You understand easily how filters are applied.
    • Very optimized.
    • filters are fun.
    • asynchrone api (use await)

but
    • you can't modify filter's parameters. You must remove it an create a new one.
    • you can't insert a filter. You must add to the end.
    • you can only remove the last filter(or all).
    • you can't develop your filter.

Personnaly, i need :
    • Interface to develop 1D or 2D filters.
    • 2D iterator on pixel like Boost.gil library concept.
    • Capability to apply filter only on a region.
    • Capability to encode pixels by region. Something like DirectX texture2D where you specify the subrect when you update a part of the texture.

1. - create a session with its dimensions,
    2. - update pixels by region => generate a picture sub part and register results to the session,
    3. - when all generated pixels are given to the session generate the jpeg file.

• Capability to update filter parameters
    • Capability to add/remove filter at any position.
    • Apply more transformations (translate, rotate + rotation center, scale, ...)
    • Documentation its difficult to read. A lot of class are only enum. Use a more adpated doc generator (something like Qt ?).
    • Remove the filter factory and create a class by filter. I thinks its more simple for user and documentation could be more readeable.
    • Get image or image region histogram and other stat.
    • Add enchance filter like gamma or histogram linearisation( To improve sketch result, i apply gamma with the LUT filter).
    • More documentations on auto enchance filter. I don't really understand how use it.

I use sdk since few weeks to update my application MonsterCam :
    • extract a zone of the picture in real times.
    • apply effect after monterification (Monterification use DirectX).

You can use 41Mp images (from 808 or lumia 1020) with Lumia 920 and 620 (i haven't test on other device) to create monster ^^.

For me, the most important feature is ROI extraction. So i've develop this sample to begin: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...6D45C8F7A!4330
    And i've test different jpeg resolutions. The result
    • lumia 920 : i can use gigapixel images (file size < 180 Mb)
    • lumia 620 : 41Mp images work very well but higher resolution no.

if you want test :
    1. run application.
    2. select an image.
    3. wait (first extraction take few second with gigapixel images. After it's really fast).
    4. One the first image is displayed use gesture to translate,rotate and scale.

you can find gigapixel images here : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...le_Art_Project.
    I've used on lumia 920 :

Quote Originally Posted by skalogir View Post
    As part of the Nokia Imaging Wiki Competition 2013Q3 we're awarding a Lumia 1020 and Nokia Premium Developer Program for Lumia membership to the most useful feedback for the Nokia Imaging SDK. This can cover any aspect of the SDK (including the documentation and example code) and both problems and suggestions for improvement.

Feedback must be submitted before 23:59 GMT on 1st September to be eligible for the prize.

Please provide your suggestions and comments as a response to this post.
    Will EXIF data persist after down-sampling or editing?