Discussion Board

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Nokia Imaging SDK Feedback (Competition)

Hi,
    The past one month which I spent in working with the Nokia Imaging SDK provided me a great opportunity to create filter based applications with ease. It also exposed me to the great articles written for the competition while also allowing me to interact with fellow developers and experts through comments to my articles.
    On the last day of the competition, I would like to sum up a few thoughts on the SDK based on my experience of writing 4 articles for the competition.
    So here goes:
    Applying filters to regions within the image
    I have written about this in detail in my article [[Effective Nokia Imaging SDK 1 : Applying filters to specific region of image]]. In this I have provided two methods (one of them being an extension method to EditionSession) which allow the user to apply partial filters to images. One of these methods uses the WriteableBitmapEx" library's Blit() method to blit a smaller image on a larger image. However these are just workarounds. Nokia Imaging SDK should provide their own solution to applying filters partially to images in an optimal way.

SDK APIs
    1. CreateBlurFilter- why do two overloads exists one which takes integer and other takes the BlurLevel enum. The BlurLevel enum is internally deriving from int only. My suggestion is to use the enum to value as argument instead of int as it is more easy to understand.
    2. BlendFunction enum - Please provide more detail in the documentation as what each enum value does.
    3. CreateMirrorFilter - only creates a mirror image on the vertical axis. Please provide an enum (maybe FlipMode) which would allow the user to create a mirror image on the horizontal axis too.
    4. ColorAdjust and ColorBoost - there is no need for having two separate filters for this. The gain parameter can be added to the ColorAdjust filter itself.
    5. BlendFilter and FrameFilter - I don't see much difference in terms of functionality, except that blend provides more options in the form of BlendFunction. Also neither of the two filters allow a smaller image to be blended to a larger image at a specific location within the larger image without resizing the smaller image. This feature could be provided.
    6. CropFilter - Can it be extended to crop to a particular shape like Oval or polygon?

Comparison with WriteableBitmapEx
    WriteableBitmapEx library is a very useful library for image processing and a comparison with the Nokia Imaging SDK is unavoidable. Here are a few features which I would suggest to be included in the Nokia Imagng SDK:
    1. Blit method
    2. Ability to draw filled/unfilled shapes on the image
    3. Ability to draw curves and lines on the image

Comparison with AForge.NET(http://www.aforgenet.com/)
    Here are a few features in AForge.NET which I would like to be there in Nokia Imaging SDK for gesture detection
    1. Comparison between two video frames
    2. Generate vertical and horizontal histograms for a bitmap image ( see http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...re-Recognition)

Filter Harmonization
    My attempt at harmonizing the various filter parameters can be seen here: http://developer.nokia.com/Community...ter_parameters. However this method cannot harmonize all the filters. For filters having simple parameters, limit the data types to int, double and enum.
    Also EditingSession should allow the changing of parameters of an applied filter dynamically, instead of having to Undo first followed by applying the filter with new parameters.

Port to Windows 8
    This is very much needed.

Other feature wish
    1. Ability to select pixels in the image which fall within the given color range
    2. Allow custom filter creation by using High Level Shader Language (HLSL)

This is all I could think of. Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Ratish

Thank you everyone who has contributed feedback here over the last month. Much of it has been extremely useful and will be going into future iterations of the SDK. Some has already been integrated into the current version!

We'll be reviewing all the feedback this week and plan to announce the winner along with the wiki article winners in the next few days.

If you have other feedback, please continue to post it here. You might not be able to win a prize, but you will be working to make the Imaging SDK more suitable for your own and other's use.

Regards
    Hamish

And the Feedback competition winner is ...

The SDK Feedback Winner is aesirconsultancy for requesting blending functionality like that provided by writeableBitmapEx. The request was made early on and was subsequently requested by a number of other users. We consider it good feedback because it shows an understanding of what is offered by the SDK, and because we appreciate the importance of building bridges between the Nokia Imaging SDK and the hugely popular WriteableBitmapEx library.

The SDK feedback part of the competition was extremely successful, with great feedback provided by a large number of developers, including wiki competition winners PedroQ and yan_ . Some of the feedback has already gone into the SDK and we're hoping a lot more will go into the next update.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. The feedback competition is now complete, but of course we welcome your further advice and suggestions going forward.

Can I use Nokia-Imaging-SDK in the WPF application?

Quote Originally Posted by sergex View Post
    Can I use Nokia-Imaging-SDK in the WPF application?
    No, you can't use it. Only Wp8 projects supported right now. I don't know Nokia Imaging team will extend supports to WPF application.

Hi I am working on a Windows Phone 8 App using Nokia Imaging SDK, my question is regarding the Contest, so we can not submit in the contest before we physically submit and publish the app on Windows Store?

Quote Originally Posted by omarbarlas View Post
    Hi I am working on a Windows Phone 8 App using Nokia Imaging SDK, my question is regarding the Contest, so we can not submit in the contest before we physically submit and publish the app on Windows Store?
    The wiki contest for which this feedback thread was started is finished. If you mean another contest - then you'll need to state which you mean. I would first check the terms and conditions and FAQ for that contest since many common questions will already have been answered.

When I try to upload a XAP file of my app to Windows Phone Store,an error appear :

1028: The native API api-ms-win-core-interlocked-l1-2-0.dll:InterlockedIncrement() isn’t allowed in assembly Nokia.Graphics.Imaging.dll. Update it and then try again.

Are there anybody run into this problem ? Please give me a step to fix it if so

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by yan_ View Post
    No,I build with x86 target.

Nokia Developer Champion

X86 target is normally for the emulator.
    You must use arm target for your submission.

Quote Originally Posted by yan_ View Post
    X86 target is normally for the emulator.
    You must use arm target for your submission.
    But when I select ARM and then Deploy on Emulator, some error appear (It say no emulator ..... I didn't remember all), is that normal ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Yes, the Emulator is x86, the Phone is ARM.

So for testing in the Emulator you use x86, for testing on the phone as well as for Store submissions you have to use ARM.

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    Yes, the Emulator is x86, the Phone is ARM.

So for testing in the Emulator you use x86, for testing on the phone as well as for Store submissions you have to use ARM.
    Haha really, thanks a lot, I'm really are in a trouble that my app can run on Emulator but doesn't run on Device,now I seen the problem. Will try to rebuild with ARM tomorrow and let every one know if it help. Thanks again

Very interesting discussion. I'm interested in SDK imaging concerning Nokia imaging and I'd like to learn more. I need to findas many good resources as I can.