Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Nokia Developer Expert

Nokia Imaging SDK Feedback (Competition)

As part of the Nokia Imaging Wiki Competition 2013Q3 we're awarding a Lumia 1020 and Nokia Premium Developer Program for Lumia membership to the most useful feedback for the Nokia Imaging SDK. This can cover any aspect of the SDK (including the documentation and example code) and both problems and suggestions for improvement.

Feedback must be submitted before 23:59 GMT on 1st September to be eligible for the prize.

Please provide your suggestions and comments as a response to this post.
    Last edited by hamishwillee; 2013-07-12 at 00:24.

Re: Nokia Imaging SDK Feedback (Competition)

can some user copy some other user feedback (or at least some parts of it)? and can we also provide SDK bugs here? and has the feedback to be in the same reply post or can it be in many reply posts of ur below post?? can we also edit our reply post?
    can also a user participate in both challenges and win them both and also two phones? can the user also participate and win in all segments?
    will the winners also receive at home through mail a certificate that claims that i won(if it even will be)?
    Last edited by cronius; 2013-07-12 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by cronius View Post
    can some user copy some other user feedback (or at least some parts of it)?
    Yes- However we will be reading stuff in order it was posted so I suspect that copying will be obvious. We will value feedback based on impact and newness, so there is no point copying

and can we also provide SDK bugs here?
    Bugs are a form of feedback. So yes

can also a user participate in both challenges and win them both and also two phones? can the user also participate and win in all segments?
    You can participate in both challenges and I urge you do do so - since you increase chance of winning. However there is only one phone per winner.

will the winners also receive at home through mail a certificate that claims that i won(if it even will be)?
    No. The prizes are as listed in the wiki page. Which incidentally is where questions about the competition itself should be raised. This is for the feedback.

Thanks
    H

Firstly, thanks for the great SDK, it should simplify imaging apps a lot (and hopefully this makes it drop-dead easy for Instagram to make an app, the Imaging SDK is basically Instagram without the UI o.0). My feedback:

* Not sure if this fits in with what Nokia envisions for the SDK, but having image recognition (facial, textual, or just generic "that's one thing, that's another") abilities built into the SDK would be really cool. It would be helpful to have a single library for something that's bound to be one of the more interesting uses of the 1020's camera (for example, users taking images of animals they see, then being able to recognize rare/near-extinct animals and adding the sighting to a database of rare animal populations, or being able to quickly verify or debunk alien sightings). There are some image recognition libraries available for .NET, but I'm not sure if any of them are optimized for the amount of data coming out of the 1020's sensor.

* More information on how memory management should be handled would be extremely helpful - the fact that your example apps call the GC (generally a big no-no, unless you know what you're doing), have custom dispose methods, and the 1020 has an extra GB of memory make it seem like memory management is very important for a great experience with photo editing, but, as far as I can find, there isn't any documentation addressing this.
    Of course there's the "common sense" of calling Dispose and/or encasing everything in using blocks, then calling the GC after you're done with each editing session, but with .NET being the platform with a GC that's supposed to be "smarter than us mortals," it seems a little counter-intuitive (and against most of Microsoft's regular guidelines) to be calling it multiple times in a project.
    Last edited by matthewthepc; 2013-07-15 at 06:44.

Hi Matthew

I suspect your first point would come under "interesting applications that you could make with the SDK" - or articles you could write in the other part of the competition :-)

The second point seems pretty useful and valid (will need to check what we've covered and not covered in library to "value" it). Thanks!

Regards
    H

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Hi Matthew

I suspect your first point would come under "interesting applications that you could make with the SDK" - or articles you could write in the other part of the competition :-)

The second point seems pretty useful and valid (will need to check what we've covered and not covered in library to "value" it). Thanks!

Regards
    H
    Thanks for the reply, I'll look into other libraries that do this, and maybe write an article about it
    Another quick thing I've noticed is that (in Filter Explorer at least) you have the Filter and Filters models which, as far as I can tell, are the only real way to get a list of filter names and filters, which, again, as far as I can tell, is the simplest way to have a list of all filters for the user to pick from (something that you think a lot of Imaging SDK-based apps would be using). Any chance this could be done within the SDK itself? Maybe as part of FilterFactory? Having it all stored in an external file means you would have to update it every time a new filter came out, which could lead to fragmentation. I suppose it could be done with reflection, but that seems a bit messy for something that would be common place in any kind of app that allows users to add filters to an image.

Hopefully as I use the SDK more I can find some more suggestions, and then post a longer reply.

Thanks,
    Matthew
    Last edited by matthewthepc; 2013-07-17 at 04:37. Reason: clarified

Currently the imaging sdk only supports WP8, it would be really useful if the sdk also supported Windows 8 RT (tablets).

I've been creating a lot of temporary Solutions to try the new Imaging SDK and I was not happy with those initial steps required to the references. I managed to solve this (partially).
    I created my custom NuGet package for the Imaging SDK and added it to my local repository. This is the same as the official package, but with an Install.ps1 script to change the path of the references:

param($installPath, $toolsPath, $package, $project)

write-host "Fixing the paths for the references in $($project.ProjectName)..."

Add-Type -AssemblyName 'Microsoft.Build, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
    $currentProject = [Microsoft.Build.Evaluation.ProjectCollection]::GlobalProjectCollection.GetLoadedProjects($project.FullName) | Select-Object -First 1

foreach($ref in $currentProject.GetItems('Reference') | Where-Object { $_.EvaluatedInclude -eq 'Nokia.Graphics.Imaging' -or $_.EvaluatedInclude -eq 'Nokia.InteropServices.WindowsRuntime' })
    {
    write-host "Fixing $($ref.EvaluatedInclude)"

$hintPath = $ref.GetMetadataValue("HintPath").Replace("\X86\Nokia", "\`$(Platform)\Nokia") # Im searching for \X86\Nokia just to make sure I'm not replacing any other X86 that might be in the path string
    $ref.SetMetadataValue("HintPath", $hintPath)

write-host "New path set: $hintPath"
    }

write-host "Done!"

Unfortunately, I cannot find a way to modify the solution file and remove the Any CPU target so I still have to do that by hand. Still, this saves me some time, I no longer have to open the .csproj file and modify it.
    Thought I should share with you guys, maybe you'll find it as helpful as I do

First of all, the SDK looks good. Great Job Nokia team! Second, there are some minor improvements that can go further. Currently it is very hard for me to know what kind of settings or parameters are valid for each of the effects. For example, If I am applying a Sketch effect, how do I discover all the parameters that can be tweaked to enhance the image. It is not easy to discover those settings easily from the current SDK. Of course, I can learn to know them from using demo samples but it will be nice to include this in the object graph in a consistent way.

Regular Contributor

Will the SDK support symbian or meego harmattan device?

Suggestion:

I have been playing with the SDK, and I believe that EditingSession really needs a selection/delimitation method, in order to limit the area where effects are applied.

Obviously, the method should receive a Rect but ideally, the method should receive a Geometry object.

Hi Guys/Girls,

I have been playing with the Nokia Imaging SDK and have a question.

I have basically been implementing the code from the quick start guide at: http://developer.nokia.com/Resources...ick-start.html

In this I can see that the Cartoon image has a fixed width and height. Is there any reason behind this?

With XAML I was hoping to have the image stretched to the container dimensions using HorizontalAlignment and VerticalAlignment.

When attempting a stretched image the call to "await session.RenderToImageAsync(CartoonImage, OutputOption.PreserveAspectRatio)" raises an exception "The parameter is incorrect."

Is there any reason behind this restriction and any way to get around this? I am implementing this in a production app I have in the Windows Phone Store.

Cheers,
    Neil Goundar
    eixipApps

I have been thinking about this and will give this a go tomorrow but I think this could be due to the image having zero widths and heights when initially loaded. Will provide more updates after further investigations.

Cheers
    Neil Goundar
    eixipApps

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Goundar View Post
    I have been thinking about this and will give this a go tomorrow but I think this could be due to the image having zero widths and heights when initially loaded. Will provide more updates after further investigations.
    Hi Neil, I believe zero sized image is the problem here. To avoid such problem, you may want to render your image to a WriteableBitmap, and set that WriteableBitmap as the source of your XAML image control.

This is not a direct feedback on Nokia Imaging SDK but there is a problem with some of the samples. Take RealtimeFilterDemo for example, click back from about page causes the app to crash.

Steps to replicate are as follows:
    1. Launch the app
    2. Click 'About' from the menu bar
    3. Click the back button to come back to the main page
    4. Click 'About' from the menu bar
    5. Click the back button
    6. This time the app crashes and you cannot see anything from the viewfinder.