Discussion Board

Retrieving Mac Address of Windows Phone

Hi,,
    I have been working on windows phone platform since 2 months. I am working on Visual studio 2012 IDE and .Net Framework 4.5 . I would like to open a discussion on Mac Address . I have used DeviceExtendedProperties class to get the device unique ID. I would like to know whether the same class can be used to extract the mac address . If it is not possible , would you please tell me another method or API for retieving the mac address. Also I have found that ManagementClass can be used for getting the mac address. For that I have used System.Management namespace. But I am getting following error :
    Error: The type or namespace name 'Management' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?)
    I couldn’t find System.Management dll in my environment. From where shall I download the dll file. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Aswathy.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Retrieving Mac Address of Windows Phone

It's not possible on WP7 or WP8, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...-8-mac-address

What are you trying to achieve?

(Also, Windows Phone is not full .NET 4.5, it's a subset so not all APIs are available)

Hi theorthernt,,

Thanks for ur speedy reply . I want to know the mac address of windows phone 7 and 8. Gone through the site that u have mentioned. But I couldn't find any information on Mac Address. Using Management class API's in console application it was able to retrieve the physical address of the machine. So can we use this .exe(that was created in this console app) in windows phone application to get the mac address of device. Or is there any third party dll available , so that we can use functions like DLLImport to read the mac address . Please guide me regarding this.

thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Champion

What do you want to get the Mac address for?

It's NOT possible to make a WP7 or WP8 app that can retrieve the Mac address from the device.

Quote Originally Posted by AbhinavPajnoo View Post
    Hi theorthernt,,

Thanks for ur speedy reply . I want to know the mac address of windows phone 7 and 8. Gone through the site that u have mentioned. But I couldn't find any information on Mac Address. Using Management class API's in console application it was able to retrieve the physical address of the machine. So can we use this .exe(that was created in this console app) in windows phone application to get the mac address of device. Or is there any third party dll available , so that we can use functions like DLLImport to read the mac address . Please guide me regarding this.

thanks in advance.
    It is not possible to reuse the code from the console application on the Windows Phone. Most of the APIs from .NET are not available for Windows Phone (it has capabilities similar to the Silverlight runtime) since Windows Phone is restricted to run all its application in sandbox on a different hardware.

You can always vote for that feature to be added in the next version of Windows Phone: UserVoice - Provide more WiFi connection details such as signal strength, MAC address, etc.