Discussion Board

Lightbulb Some Info about nokia map and limitation

Hi, I'm a wp8 developer and I like to use api for track people around the world,
    so I need
    -simple 2d map
    -some pins inside,
    -and locate a geocoord of one or more people (for example I click on name of my friend, and app show me in to the map)

so according this page http://developer.here.com/faqs#l&t seems that this service is free and without limitation
    if I use Tiles maps that I supporse are only available through the api (I don't understand the difference between 2D tiles map and 2D static maps)

It's right?

thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Some Info about nokia map and limitation

You are chekcing the Java script API things, the WP8 has Native API, so you might want to check the docs for it instead.

Yes My question is about wp8, yes native api, and sorry, I post into the wrong place... but you can't help me (move post or I should repost?)?

thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

closest thing for right information I know would be: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.105%29.aspx just scroll the page all the way until the end to see the links for terms & conditions

thanks

but I'm asking something different for bing map I've already the answer, yes for my needs there's limit to 25000, but according http://developer.here.com/faqs#l&t seems not have limits so, because I invest a great amount of time to make the app I want to be really really sure before choose openstreet / google / nokia.

Regular Contributor

The terms and conditions page from developer.here.com you quoted initially is regarding the web-based APIs such as the REST services, JavaScript API and Mobile HTML5 framework. Of these the Mobile HTML5 is the current HERE solution offered for cross-platform mobile development.

The Maps API in Windows Phone 8 is a Native API used accessing the on-board maps from the device. Nokia has already taken its 'cut' through supplying the Maps data to the device and gets paid by the OEM - in this case Microsoft. Use of the Maps API in Windows Phone 8 is subject to Microsoft terms and conditions.

Using the Bing Map control in WP8 development has been deprecated by Microsoft - there is no point in using the old inferior method when a better on-board solution exists (and offers more stability and offline maps, no data traffic and so on.) It remains the preferred solution for Native WP7 development.

So the question any developer needs to answer is which combination of native or cross-platform? and if native targeting WP7 or WP8? You have already stated the combination you need so symbianyucca's advice is correct - the Microsoft T&Cs for the Maps API in Windows Phone 8 can be found here.
    Last edited by jasfox; 2013-07-17 at 11:05.