Discussion Board

Do rms database of phone and emulator is to be saved in a diffrent way?

I am working on s40 apps. I am storing rms dataabse. Do we have to store rms diffrently if we have to store it on phone? cz i read somewhre that rms file that we make on emulator do not run on phone. Is it true.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Do rms database of phone and emulator is to be saved in a diffrent way?

I am getting a bit lost here: do you mean that you pre-create an RMS file with the emulator, and deploy that on the device? Could you show the steps you are following, perhaps with some links to related documentation?

i mean to say if i add records in rms and running the project on sdk 2.0 ..i am getting the records on emulator screen(first step done) ok. Now If I install the file jad/jar file in phone through nokia ovi suite(jad/jar in emulation folder) , will it show the same result on device too?
    Last edited by Manpreet_Singh; 2013-07-13 at 16:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Manpreet_Singh View Post
    I am working on s40 apps. I am storing rms dataabse. Do we have to store rms diffrently if we have to store it on phone? cz i read somewhre that rms file that we make on emulator do not run on phone. Is it true.
    There is no change from emulator to phone w.r.t RMS . The RMS works the same in both the cases.
    Regards,
    Venkatesh

but what actually happening is i write a program of rms . It adds one record on every run. I run it on emulator 2 times so two records are visible . Now when i install this jar file on phone and run, it has started adding from first record. I expected that it will show me two records on phone too.
    wHY THIS THING IS HAPPENING?

Super Contributor

but what actually happening is i write a program of rms . It adds one record on every run. I run it on emulator 2 times so two records are visible . Now when i install this jar file on phone and run, it has started adding from first record. I expected that it will show me two records on phone too.
    If you run the app in the emulator and store data in RMS using the emulator, the stored data does not automagically end up in your separate application installation file.

If you run your app on two separate phones, data you store/save on one phone, does not mysteriously appear on the other phone, either.

So what is the solution of it. As i need to apply lot of codes for checking and creating logics. Many times i need to comment the addrecord method and test my searching and fetching code.
    Is there a way so that whateva rms data is shown to me on emulator will result the same on device?

Manpreet .
    You should understand RMS is not a part of the jar file , its a mobile database .
    It is not in any manner similar to MYSQL database where you take the dump on one system
    load that on another system and make it work. Hope you understood the difference.
    Regards,
    Venkatesh

okhayzzzz ! Thanks for useful information

Super Contributor

If you need to "pre-populate" RMS data, you could include the data in a text (or binary) file in the .jar and when the application runs for the first time (record store does not exist/is empty), read the file from the .jar and save the data in RMS to prepopulate/initialize it, after which the data is available for subsequent runs (unless you let the app user to delete the data).

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._file_from_JAR

Alternatively, if your application is associated with a network service, send a request to the server to return the data.

(Note, of course, that if the user is allowed to "empty" the RMS from all data, if you only depend on an empty record store, then on the next run the record store would again be reloaded from the file in the .jar. A separate record store or a special flag in the primary record store, which you do not allow the user to delete, could be used to indicate whether on this particular device, the initialization has already been done.)