Discussion Board

What API do I have to use to develop an app for my old nokia c2-01?

Here is more info: v11.20 rm-721

I don't understand how this whole "Asha" thing works, I'm sure my phone doesn't have Asha on it because it doesn't have a touchscreen either.

I want to read and send sms in an app that I develop for this phone, it only has to work on this phone and other c2-01 phones in the company.

How do I go about this? Is my phone even enabled for app development?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What API do I have to use to develop an app for my old nokia c2-01?

you could check the device specifications: http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/phones/ph...pecifications/ the Software platform & User Interface part would tell you which platform version the device is.

Then just get the SDK from: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/asha/ , then to get started you could check the docs from: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...a/#!index.html

How do I debug the real device over bluetooth? What is the device IP? Localhost doesn't work, it just hangs here:

startKDWP(). commandline: java -cp kdp.jar kdp.KVMDebugProxy -l 53031 -r 127.0.0.1 2800 -p -cp
    Last edited by Brunhern; 2013-07-10 at 11:13.

Your device (https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...cations/C2-01/) is Series 40 6th edition, so hopefully you got that SDK from https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve..._earlier.xhtml
    Then you can check if there is a debugger inside (I think there is not), and check if https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve...ice_Debugging/ applies to Series 40 6th edition (unfortunately the release notes of the old debugger does not tell anything about compatibility).

EDIT: now as I am closing the windows, noticed that "Series 40 On-Device Debugger is supported on all Series 40 6th Edition or later phones."
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-07-10 at 12:37.

So I should get the latest one there? I actually downloaded a "Nokia_Asha_SDK_1_0_installer_offline_em_update1.zip". That is the first link on the right side of this page: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/asha/ I'm now installing nokia_sdk_2_0_java, I hope that works. I also googled and tried to get it working with "Series_40_On_Device_Debugger_v0_3_en.zip", but this process is quite involved.

You don't need to install those separately. Just have the Asha 1.0 installed. Then in the IDE, right click the project name, select properties from the menu, and Java ME from the dialog.

Then you would see all SDK configurations you have selected for your project currently. Then you can add more by clikcing the Device SDK Selector button.

After clicking the button, you'll see list of all possible SDKs you have installed and which you could also install. So select the target from the list to be added to your project, and if it is not installed already, simply click the install buttong to get it downloaded and installed.,

I worry that I'm being unclear in my question. You just suggested to me to install another SDK even though you said that the one I already have is sufficient. I don't understand.
    I did it anyway, but no change? You also didn't say how this would enable me to debug over bluetooth any more than I'm currently trying to do. Here is my problem illustrated:

I'm here:

Then I go here:

Then I'm here:

I only have bluetooth connection. How do I debug?
    Last edited by Brunhern; 2013-07-15 at 16:39.

Brunhern, you should go for the emulator which matches your device.

The one of the new Asha software platform is a very good starting point because it gives you an IDE. However, when it comes to debugging you should add a previous SDK because the new Asha software platform has nothing in common with your Series 40 device – Series 40 and the new Asha software platform are a complete different operating system. An SDK comes with an emulator, perfect for local debugging. For your device, I recommend ‘Series 40 5th Edition, Feature Pack 1’ because it has the same display resolution, features, and no touchscreen – exactly as your Nokia. However, do not download this package from that webpage but from within the IDE, exactly as symbianyucca described. Then, when you debug, the emulator is started automatically.

Nevertheless, to use that emulator, you need a Java Runtime Environment, not higher than JRE 7 Update 17. If everything works in your emulator, you can consider to play around with on-device-debugging. Again, the variant you use, this is for the new Asha software platform. You would need the variant for Series 40. However, your phone is too old to do on-device-debugging because it is a Series 40 with Platform Release 9.1. ODD on Series 40 was supported for late 9.2 ones. You can, however, use System.out and System.err via tools like HyperTerminal. Anyway, if you have come that far, ask again, and we are going to help.

Can I just use my Nokia E66 for application development and then copy the app to the C2-01? Wikipedia says it supports S60 v3.1 (3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1) UI on Symbian OS v9.2. It's really hard to find out who supports remote debugging how.. but they sound similar, and I'm sure they both use Java ME apis. I will try to get something working, system.out debugging is really far from ideal..

I would not use a Nokia E66 because it is based on Symbian. Again a complete different operating system than Series 40, with a complete different implementation of these APIs. Same APIs are nice but when it comes down to the facts, the implementation matters. I would go for a Nokia 302 because of its landscape screen and because it has WLAN, which eases networking debugging a lot. If you do not want to support landscape and you want to stay as close to your model as possible, go for the Nokia 301. However, I have not tested ODD with that, yet. I would avoid to go for those touch based models, therefore the Nokia 301 or the upcoming Nokia 207. Basically, you go for those Series 40 which are supported by WhatsApp.

However, with the emulators you are not going to do much ODD. The ones of Nokia are extremely comprehensive and contain even a production firmware 1:1. Actually, I cannot remember when I did ODD the last time.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-07-18 at 10:35.