Discussion Board

how to sign midlet thru openSSL?

Hi to All,

One of our client shared us the .key & .p7b files. Now I have to sign the midlet using the same files. I have extract all the 3 certificates from .p7b file. Now plz suggest what all I have to do now to sign the midlet...

Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: how to sign midlet thru openSSL?

For starters, read these:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...curity_Domains

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ng_for_dummies

https://www.developer.nokia.com/info..._0_en.pdf.html

Also, check that what you have received are code signing certificates, and not, e.g., intended for HTTPS or client authentication, or such.

Note also that depending on which phone(s) you are targeting, you may not be able to use OpenSSL certificates at all, if the phones do not allow you to install an OpenSSL based root certificate for code signing. As far as I know, for Nokia's phones you can't install your own code signing root certs, but must use, e.g., VeriSign:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ning_-_Java_ME

Thanks for your reply...Basically I am targeting nokia's phone with verisign certificate...As far as I know, we have two ways to sign the midlet..
    1> using java keytool method : generate keystore & csr. Then submit csr to 3rd party and will get certificate & import that certificate into keystore. Then we can use the keystore to sign the midlet.
    2> thru openSSL : generate .key & .csr thru openSSL & submit .csr to 3rd part like verisign & will get certificate. I just wanted to know the complete procedure of this 2nd option.

Thanks.

I am not sure, I understand you, just my initial thoughts (simply disregard them, if I missed something):
    • You cannot sign with OpenSSL, or at least I never saw a tutorial. I think it is possible: You do a hash over the JAR and include the certificates as PEM files into the JAD. But why?
    • You do not use keytool either. You use the tools which come with the Oracle WTK or the Nokia IDE.
    • Actually, your client has to sign the MIDlet, because I do not think it is legal to forward a private.
    • Finally, I do not understand why you want to deal with a ‘certificate signing request’ (.csr) if you got certificates already.
    Anyway, it is possible to convert a private key and private certificates into .sks format which Java uses. From that, you can sign your MIDlet (or create a certificate signing request if not signed by VeriSign, yet). Is that the path you are looking for? Then I look up a tutorial.

Thanks for ur reply... It's done.