Discussion Board

Disable SMS, MMS & Games on basic Nokia phones

Can you please advise how I would disable SMS, MMS and games access on basic Nokia phones such as the Nokia 100.

I need to configure phones so that users cannot create or receive SMS / MMS messages. In addition, I want to remove all text message related icons and any games.

Please advise what software or / and hardware I would need and where I would find instructions on how to complete the above tasks.

Many thanks

Crunchy
    Last edited by Crunchy; 2013-07-17 at 23:31.

Super Contributor

Re: Disable SMS, MMS & Games on basic Nokia phones

No such configuration settings exist, so there are no software, hardware or instructions to help you with your requirements.

Hi Petrib

Many thanks for your reply.

Are there any Nokia phones that one can disable SMS send / receive, WAP, Internet access and, perhaps, other options. I prefer hearing about the more basic Nokia ranges, but any Nokia's will do.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Hi Petrib

Many thanks for your reply.

Are there any Nokia phones that one can disable SMS send / receive, WAP, Internet access and, perhaps, other options. I prefer hearing about the more basic Nokia ranges, but any Nokia's will do.

Thanks
    Like already mentioned by Petri, I too am not aware of any such thing. Yes, the internet access can be disabled, but in the same breadth can be enabled too. So, if I understand your use-case correctly, there is nothing that would disable these functionalities completely as required by you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Generally it is not possible to do in a permanent way. However on S60 2nd edition devices it may be possible to disable features in a way that only a complete reset with a less known key-combination can bring them back.
    The devices are listed here: https://developer.nokia.com/search/s...form%3As60_2ed, a common thing about them is that they are really old, phased out 7 years ago, in 2006.

Hey Neil

Thanks for letting me know.

My objective was to configure phones for kids emergency use only. As SMS and Internet access can be abused, i.e. premium SMS, etc., I wanted all of these features barred.

I guess, I just may have to kick this one out of my head after all. However, I will check out wizard_hu_'s offering first.

Cheers

Hi wizard_hu_

Many thanks for your suggestion. Alas, as you say, these were phased out. In addition, this is not a simple device to use. My objective was to configure kids phones for emergency use only. I wanted to bar SMS and Internet access, as these can be abused.

Any other suggestions before I kick this idea out of my head once and for all?

Cheers for now.