Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Is heap size same for phone and for the emulator?

I m working on s40 apps and i have a slight confusion about the heap size.

I am parsing data from web service URL link and it has a lot of data that while parsing to a certain extent it gives out of memory error. So earlier when i was working on emulator, i parsed my data in chunks so i was able to parse all my data and stored in rms.

Now i know that the for saving all my parsing data on phone(in rms) , i have to run it on phone(since jar file installed on phone does not contain rms of emulator).
    Am i expected to get out of memory error on phone too if i parse all my data at once?
    In other words heap memory issue will remain same on phone too as in emulator?
    Last edited by Manpreet_Singh; 2013-07-19 at 05:35.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is heap size same for phone and for the emulator?

I would not know the exact answers on how to check the heap on the emulator, anyway for devices you could check the device specs at least you could see the total RAM memory from them. anyway, would consider those varying between devices, even in same platform version. thus would really think that there are no ways that the emulator would fit exactly the same technical specs than the device, also from the memory point of view.

And if you have seen the memory running out in the device, its probably exactly what is happening there.

Regular Contributor

oK i will test it on device. Yes i checked Heap size of nokia asha 310 is 2-3 mb , Ram memory is 64 mb and i put the code of free memory too ,after adding half of my records the free memory is getting almost 0(on emulator).

if we suppose it is going out of memory on device as well. Then breaking data into chunks for eg. If i put a break after adding some records(less than that number which is giving me out of memory error ) , and add rest of records on background. Still it will throw out of memory error or then it might not throw?
    Last edited by Manpreet_Singh; 2013-07-19 at 11:59.

Nokia Developer Champion

I think you should split it to chunks in any case because different phones have different Heap space 311 - 4MB, 305 - 2MB, 501 - 3MB
    btw phone ram size doesnt matter to you only Heap space.