Discussion Board

Unified development for Nokia platform

I've done research on unified development for current Nokia platforms like WP8 / S40. I realise it's not likely feasible to use the same code for the UX, but I imagine it must be possible to share code for the back-end. I've found systems like xamarin, phonegap and appcelerator titanium however none support S40. I'd appreciate knowing if this is feasible, and if so how?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Unified development for Nokia platform

Quote Originally Posted by fzzylogic View Post
    I've done research on unified development for current Nokia platforms like WP8 / S40. I realise it's not likely feasible to use the same code for the UX, but I imagine it must be possible to share code for the back-end. I've found systems like xamarin, phonegap and appcelerator titanium however none support S40. I'd appreciate knowing if this is feasible, and if so how?
    For the backend you should adopt a Service approach. Create services, Soap / Rest services, that any device can access and you have not only all the devices you mentioned but also all others that support these types of services.

When it comes to user interface that are common frameworks like Phonegap that rely on HTML + Javascript but from my experience, you wont be able to have one single UI targeting all devices. You should build each UI for each OS you want to target or you wiull end up with an app that is not very good on any of them. Better to have one or two working apps than 10 that are a mess.