Discussion Board

Nokia Category Bar not being dimmed and modal'd when modal dialog is shown

Hi Experts!

I have a LWUIT form with a Nokia Category Bar (added by Nokia to the standard LWUIT library) installed at the bottom of the form. Whenever I show a modal LWUIT Dialog, it dims the entire form except the Category Bar! And the worst part is, I can still interact with the category bar! Is this a bug on the LWUIT dialog?

Many Thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nokia Category Bar not being dimmed and modal'd when modal dialog is shown

This was asked and answer before, however i'll answer again.
    The Nokia category bar is a native component indapendent from LWUIT, infact the lwuit Form extend only untill the category bar (if your using it) and from the HeaderBar (if your using it) so lwuit cant draw ontop of those and the shadow or dimmed is drawn by LWUIT.
    so thats the full answer.

Well that's unfortunate. Nokia has this guideline where if you display a dialog, the form behind it must be dimmed and non-editable so this restriction will make it hard to follow if I am using LWUIT dialogs + Nokia category bar. On the other hand, I did try using LCDUI alert on top of a LWUIT form and that seemed to solve my problem - is this an okay workaround or would you say combining LWUIT forms with LCDUI alerts is a dangerous thing to do?

Nokia Developer Champion

well first of all style guidelines are just style guidelines they are not mandatory, also the form behind your dialog is infact dimmed and non-editable (just the category bar isnt)
    You can mix lwuit forms with lcdui alerts HOWEVER you have to know what your doing very well.

If your plan is to be able to submit your app to the Nokia store i see no reason for it to get rejected because of the dialog on top on your form that doesnt dimm the category bar
    But just incase that you do get a fail notice because of it you can always (setVisible(false) the categorybar before showing your dialog and set it to visible again when the dialog is disposed)

Thank you again. Yes, I did observe some "race condition" related problems when juggling between LCDUI alert and LWUIT forms as they probably execute on different threads. I did also consider hiding the category bar but we decided not to hide it due to "aesthetic" reasons.

Angry Re: Nokia Category Bar not being dimmed and modal'd when modal dialog is shown

I had to combine LWUI and LCDUI for this problem, my application does not pass the QR for this problem

Code:
    	public void showDialogError()
    	{
    		alert = new Alert("error", mensajeError, null, AlertType.ERROR);
    		alert.addCommand(new javax.microedition.lcdui.Command("OK",
    				javax.microedition.lcdui.Command.OK, 1));
    		alert.setTimeout(Alert.FOREVER);// Alerta modal
    		alert.setCommandListener(new CommandListener() {
    			public void commandAction(javax.microedition.lcdui.Command c,
    					Displayable d) {
    				if (c.getLabel().equals("OK")) {
    					cierraAlerta();