Discussion Board

Yay! We completed our game-project!

It took us 3 years (because of daytime jobs and a kid to look after at the same time), but my girlfriend and me have finally managed to complete our game project, and both the Android and JavaME version is online now!

See www.piratediamonds.com to read about the game.

Visit www.piratediamonds.com/mobile with your JavaME enabled phone to download.

Should run on all (newer) JavaME enabled devices. Different versions for different screen-resolutions available.

Feedback welcome!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Yay! We completed our game-project!

Hello misthalu,

Congrats Game looks good, what about publishing this in Nokia Store ??

Regards,
    Gargi

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    Congrats Game looks good, what about publishing this in Nokia Store ??
    Thanks! :-)

Sadly we won't be publishing in Nokia Store, as they have too many requirements we don't wish to abide by.

Hello, we have published yesterday our newest creation "Unagi" to the Nokia store for Nokia Asha 501.
    It will be free for two weeks, check it out!

Web browser: http://store.nokia.com/content/384261
    Nokia mobile browser: http://store.ovi.mobi/content/384261

Don't hijack my thread Giorg189.

Shai was kind enough to let me know there was some download problems with the Asha devices. OTA install didn't work.

I have fixed that now, after getting myself an Asha device to test with and spending some hours on it. Who would have guessed that I had to remove Nokia specific attributes from the JAD file before it would run? That's what I'm calling one of the biggest jokes around.

I'm very puzzled as to why any company would want to make new devices that can't figure out to ignore JAD attributes it doesn't support. Especially if they are attributes that company invented themselves.

Anyway, you can go play now with your Asha devices. (And other JavaME devices of course).

http://www.piratediamonds.com

Regular Contributor

Hello Mishtalu,

Why you failed publishing the application on the ovi store...?. What is the nokia requirement that make you won't publish..?.

Best Regards,
    Iqbal

Quote Originally Posted by muhamad.iqbal View Post
    Why you failed publishing the application on the ovi store...?. What is the nokia requirement that make you won't publish..?.
    We didn't submit "Pirate Diamonds" to the Nokia QA team. A while back I tried to get another (very simple) app published, just to try out the process, and find out if we would even wanted to aim at publishing our game at Nokia Store. I expected that app to be rejected. That was the whole point of submitting it. It was the reasons for the rejection I was interested in. That way I could figure out if we even wanted to try and submit Pirate Diamonds later.

The app was rejected because I linked to www.lublu.dk in the app description - and because people could download the same app from that site. This taught us that apparently Nokia has the requirement that we can't link to a page, from where it's possible to download our game. Nokia QA team requires that we redirect people to the Nokia Store then.

Players of "Pirate Diamonds" can challenge a friend by sending them an SMS (Android version only) or post on Facebook (Android + JavaME version). This challenge naturally contains a link to www.PirateDiamonds.com - from where you can download the JavaME version of the game. We do not want to redirect to Nokia Store for the JavaME version. We want the JavaME version to remain downloadable from www.PirateDiamonds.com.

Therefore we have no interest in publishing on Nokia Store.

There are also 3 other minor reasons though.

First one being that a "Quit" button isn't allowed for the Asha models. I get it. It's a design decision, and I'm not blind for the beauty of it. But in this day and age, where both Nokia and JavaME is struggling, I think it's very silly to invent a new design decision like that. It's not a silly design. It's just completely bad timing and yet another obstacle for developers.

I also understand the "Help" and "About" requirements, but I feel they are requirements from the old days. Our "About" screen is equal to the splash screen shown while loading.
    The "Help" page equals everything written at www.PirateDiamonds.com - which is the entry point for the game for those who cares about reading such stuff. I know that most people never reads anything. They just start the game, and if they don't get it within the first minute, they close it again and move on.
    We will not "flood" our menu by adding these two useless menu buttons. Everyone knows that "Less is more".

So that's why we have no interest in publishing on Nokia Store.

JavaME version now also available at Opera's App Store

http://java.apps.opera.com/en_dk/pirate_diamonds.html

Regular Contributor

First congratulations on your app. I just have some thoughts which I've written below

Quote Originally Posted by misthalu View Post

The app was rejected because I linked to www.lublu.dk in the app description - and because people could download the same app from that site. This taught us that apparently Nokia has the requirement that we can't link to a page, from where it's possible to download our game. Nokia QA team requires that we redirect people to the Nokia Store then.
    That makes sense to me because end users will be alerted to app updates if the app is published in the store. Otherwise unless your app checks online itself or you have some other notification method users won't be alterted to updates.

Players of "Pirate Diamonds" can challenge a friend by sending them an SMS (Android version only) or post on Facebook (Android + JavaME version). This challenge naturally contains a link to www.PirateDiamonds.com - from where you can download the JavaME version of the game. We do not want to redirect to Nokia Store for the JavaME version. We want the JavaME version to remain downloadable from www.PirateDiamonds.com.
    Generally I see web pages like this have verious App-Store buttons on them, e.g. piratediamonds.com could have a Google play link and a Nokia Store link, or if you really wanted the webpage could detect the phone and automatically load up that store on the phone

There are also 3 other minor reasons though.

First one being that a "Quit" button isn't allowed for the Asha models. I get it. It's a design decision, and I'm not blind for the beauty of it. But in this day and age, where both Nokia and JavaME is struggling, I think it's very silly to invent a new design decision like that. It's not a silly design. It's just completely bad timing and yet another obstacle for developers.

I also understand the "Help" and "About" requirements, but I feel they are requirements from the old days. Our "About" screen is equal to the splash screen shown while loading.
    I have published an app where the About and Help are merely shown on the splash screen and Nokia are happy with that. I think that your app could hapily reside in the store and get the benefits of it being there (app discoverability etc.).

Error message when try to run on Nokia Asha 310 device.

"Oh no!

There's not enough memory available to run Pirate Diamonds.

Try close some apps, wait a minut and then try again."

And, after some time (about 15 seconds) on this screen, an exceptions occurs:
    "Illegal Thread State
    Java/lang/IllegalThreadStateException"

: (

Quote Originally Posted by TK2000 View Post
    Error message when try to run on Nokia Asha 310 device.

Oh no!

There's not enough memory available to run Pirate Diamonds.
    When you try to load Pirate Diamonds on a device with a screen resolution that is not supported, it tries to scale all graphics to fit that resolution. This is a memory hungry process though, and therefore may not run on all devices.

But the Nokia Asha 310 has a resolution of 240x400, and Pirate Diamonds is available for that resolution - meaning no scaling should occur - unless you somehow downloaded the wrong version (e.g. a 240x320 version).

Try downloading the JAR here: http://www.piratediamonds.com/mobile...teDiamonds.jar

That's the one for 240x400 pixel screen resolution. See if that helps.