Discussion Board

Web browser screenshot on Windows Phone 7.1

Hi.
    I'm developing an application for windows phone 7 (a kind of browser). I use webbrowser control to navigate web pages and i need to take a screenshot of the web pages to make a list of favorites pages. Googling i found a way to make a screenshot, but it seems it doesn't work for webbrowser control. Despite this i see a lot of application that make webpages screenshot (for example Nokia xpress browser). How can I implement this features? I thought to send the webpage link to an external webservice and after retrive the screenshot, but I don't like this solution so much. Sorry if my english isn't correct, I'm Italian and I cannot talk English very well.

Re: Web browser screenshot on Windows Phone 7.1

Quote Originally Posted by pikmaan View Post
    Hi.
    I'm developing an application for windows phone 7 (a kind of browser). I use webbrowser control to navigate web pages and i need to take a screenshot of the web pages to make a list of favorites pages. Googling i found a way to make a screenshot, but it seems it doesn't work for webbrowser control. Despite this i see a lot of application that make webpages screenshot (for example Nokia xpress browser). How can I implement this features? I thought to send the webpage link to an external webservice and after retrive the screenshot, but I don't like this solution so much. Sorry if my english isn't correct, I'm Italian and I cannot talk English very well.
    YOu have a much better chance of getting support for a platform if you post in the forums specific to that platform. I will move this.

Check out: http://developer.nokia.com/Community..._Windows_Phone and http://developer.nokia.com/Community...indows_Phone_7

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pikmaan View Post
    I'm developing an application for windows phone 7 (a kind of browser). I use webbrowser control to navigate web pages and i need to take a screenshot of the web pages to make a list of favorites pages. Googling i found a way to make a screenshot, but it seems it doesn't work for webbrowser control. Despite this i see a lot of application that make webpages screenshot (for example Nokia xpress browser).
    It's not possible. The basic explanation is that WP7 has certain 'native components' (SystemTray, ApplicationBar and WebBrowser) which are not part of your app, so when you take a screenshot those items will be missing.

The Nokia Xpress browser can do it because Nokia (and other OEMs like Samsung or HTC) have special permission to use certain features of WP7 that regular developers cannot.

Using a 3rd party service is your only option, for the moment.

The second link show the solution I have found, but it doesn't work with webbrowser control. The first link isn't what I'm searching for.

Quote Originally Posted by theothernt View Post
    It's not possible. The basic explanation is that WP7 has certain 'native components' (SystemTray, ApplicationBar and WebBrowser) which are not part of your app, so when you take a screenshot those items will be missing.

The Nokia Xpress browser can do it because Nokia (and other OEMs like Samsung or HTC) have special permission to use certain features of WP7 that regular developers cannot.

Using a 3rd party service is your only option, for the moment.
    I suspected that things work as u said. These limitations are very frustrating, I will try with a 3rd party service or I will change the layout of the application.