Discussion Board

What's up with NAX (Nokia Ad Exchange)?

Signed up at InnerActive a while back, and after trying both Vserv and InnerActive decided to go with InnerActive.

But not sure if it was the right choice. They never seem to reply my enquiries. So let me ask here instead.

Do I have to do anything to "activate" the paid ads?

For the Android version of our game, we went with Greystripe ads because we've had very good experience with them in the past. And here the game had to go through an approval process. Is there anything similar for NAX? And if so, where do I go to start this?

Current when I look at the Dashboard and Analytic pages, I can see that our game is apparently sending a lot of requests - but is getting no Impressions. To me that means the game is attempting to fetch ads, but isn't receiving any ads to display?

Is NAX dead already? Should I have gone with Vserv instead?

Re: What's up with NAX (Nokia Ad Exchange)?

Any progress with this, are you still seeing zero impressions? At least for the few ad-supported apps I've made, there wasn't any kind of approval process. The Inneractive server started returning real ads immediately after creating the application ids.

I don't really know anything about how their systems work, but could the issue have something to do with the platform or app category that you're using? Maybe they haven't sold ads for some of the combinations, or there's some kind of bug related to the combination that you're using. If their support is not responding, maybe you could debug this yourself a bit by creating a few different app ids for the app (vary the app category and maybe platform - I have used three different categories for Nokia platform and fill rate is always more than 50%), make some ad requests for each and check the fill rates.

Yes, 155 requests but 0 impressions.

InnerActive finally replied to me yesterday that everything was fine, but didn't comment on the 0 impressions. So I obviously had to reply and ask them about that. No reply back yet.

For platform I chose "Other", since that's the only one that matches a JavaME app that doesn't run only on Nokia devices.

Seems like I should have gone with VServ instead.

Are you getting the ad requests from everywhere in the world or just a few countries? Fill rate seems to vary a lot by country - for some countries, my apps have had fill rate of 100% during the last 7 days (Kenya, Nicaragua, South Africa), but there are also a lot of countries with zero impressions or a very low fill rate.

I can't find anywhere to see what countries the requests comes from. Maybe you can only see such statistics for actual impressions. But my guess is that it's from everywhere, since we published at Opera App Store.

Still no reply from InnerActive. 173 requests now still with 0 impressions. Disappointing.

Got a reply now.

The issue might be in your requesting full screen ads - generally speaking, this is not a common ad type industry-wise for smaller screens that would usually use j2me.

I would suggest that you request a banner ad, and check again for the fill rate.
    That is of course the most stupid answer one can receive. First they offer a service. Then they tell you that the problem might be that they don't offer that service after all.

Back when Greystripe supported JavaME, we had LOTS of fullscreen ads in our games. And when there wasn't a fullscreen ad available, they just served the smaller ads. (And they STILL use that approach, and it's great).

Apparently such a logic approach is too complex for NAX.

So I will have to recommend people to use another provider, and stay away from NAX. It's not cool that our game has now been completely free for everyone who was part of the just-released-download-boom.
    Last edited by misthalu; 2013-08-12 at 19:34.

Our game has now made over 4500 requests worldwide to retrieve a fullscreen ad - and absolutely NONE has been served. 4,771 requests and 0 impressions.

InnerActive are offering services they don't really offer anyway. Stay away from them.