Discussion Board

Question S40 and Symbian Foundation conflict? Future of S40?

Hello all,

at the moment I am investigating which mobile plattform could deliver all three aspects we are looking for:

first: wide spread (overall market share)
    second: feature rich
    third: not completely security-barricaded

As far as I can see Nokia isn't supporting Java Micro Edition as strong as it was two years ago.
    Nokia isn't supporting JavaFX:
    http://groups.google.com/group/javap...30215aeb1c204b
    And if you are looking into the Java-Technology-FAQ-pdf here on Forum Nokia(last changes June 2008) on the last pages, there is a roadmap mentioned which is very unmotivated:
    Currently, Nokia is making no commitments regarding the commercial availability of these Java technologies, although Nokia has confirmed that the Mobile Service Architecture (MSA) (JSR-248) full set is on the roadmap for a future release of the S60 platform.
    Symbian Foundation don't seem to support Java ME that strong:
    http://blog.symbian.org/2009/05/29/the-future-of-java/

As far as I can see
    - JME on S40 don't get further additions
    - JME on S60 don't get further additions

Is there a roadmap for the next version of Symbian Series 40 OS, I can't find any informations on S40 7th edition.
    Here is the roadmap for the Symbian Foundation:
    http://blog.symbian.org/2009/04/30/r...-release-plan/

If we segment the phone market in High-End - Feature-Phone - Low-End
    At the moment IMO S60 adresses high end and a small piece of the feature phone market, S40 adresses low end and the bigger piece of the feature phone market. Is there a shift starting with the "Symbian-Foundation-OS"?

Am I right with this assumption?
    Symbian-Foundation-OS will be addressing High-End and Feature-Phones.
    S40 will be Low-End-Phones-Only.

Any oppinions?

Best regards,
    Tom

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S40 and Symbian Foundation conflict? Future of S40?

S40 has nothing to do with Symbian.

@symbianyucca
    I am aware of this fact.
    What bugs me ist that there is a quite transparent roadmap for Symbian Foundation and almost nothing for S40. The only progress in terms of developing programs for S40 is connected with the progress in JME on S40 (IMO).
    And I can't see any progress.

Symbian is going to be fully open source thus you can expect the roadmaps to be transparent, anyway, Can you name any manufacturer OS that would have really transparent roadmaps available publicly ?

Sony Ericsson & LG both are supporting JavaFX:
    http://javafx.com/partners/

Where are the progresses in S40?

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...can_do_now.php

If I look at the underlying hardware design of the new S40 phones I can't see big differences between for e.g. the Nokia 2730(S40) and the Nokia 6120 classic(S60). It seems to me that it is possible to replace the firmware of both devices with each other. In my oppinion it is more about market segmentation then about manufacturing costs.

In the area of feature phones there is a strong demand to integrate new gimmicks into a phone. But for example I can't see an api for an acceleration sensor for S40-devices nor is there support for big micro-SD-cards. Are there any statements that "Symbian Foundation" will deliver more to the feature phone market and S40 will be more focused on the Low-End market or are there opposite statements around and I can't find it.

If you look at the new Corporate Identity of the new Symbian Foundation website it is hard to beliefe that the SF-OS will be only High-End, I think in that case the CI would look more Corporate/Business-like and not so frisky.

The last big trump card Nokia owns in mobile phone business is the enormous market share. If they merge big parts of the former S40-market share with the S60 share then they have from the beginning a strong selling platform. If they don't I think they come into real trouble.

Sir Can u plz tel me what does it mean when system shows error when i am trying to open a call log or messages. It shows system error 505?? plz help me

Hi, this discussion board is about support for software developers creating applications for Nokia products.
    For device usage questions you may want to check the forums located on http://www.nokia.com/discussions, there you can use the same user you have registered here, and find discussions in various languages grouped by Nokia device and product families.