Discussion Board

Improvement suggestions for Publish website and service

1) The Publish website should automatically check that there's at least one fully tested device per platform before allowing submitting a file to QA. This shouldn't take long to implement, and it would make both first time publishers' and QA team's life easier.

2) Email notification should be sent when the QA team writes a comment. On one occasion, I hadn't marked a file fully tested for every platform and wasn't notified about this in any way (except via a comment in the website, which I finally saw after several days). QA had passed for all the devices, but the file wasn't published because it hadn't been marked fully tested for some platforms.

3) After submitting an updated version of a file to QA, the QA details of the previous version are still shown in the QA details window, even when QA status is already In progress for the updated file. This is confusing, it would be better if the previous details were removed as soon a new file replacing the previous one is submitted.

4) Asha platform specific images (240x320 screenshots, 120x60 banner) don't allow alpha channel in PNG files even though there are no transparent pixels. For other screenshots, alpha channel is accepted, so it would make sense if these would work similarly.

5) It would be nice if somebody from the Publish team could check this discussion board every once in a while, and respond to questions and feedback.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Improvement suggestions for Publish website and service

Thank you for your improvement ideas - I 'll pass them to our QA folks. We also try to check the publisher support questions more frequently.

Seppo
    Publisher Support

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    1) The Publish website should automatically check that there's at least one fully tested device per platform before allowing submitting a file to QA. This shouldn't take long to implement, and it would make both first time publishers' and QA team's life easier.

2) Email notification should be sent when the QA team writes a comment. On one occasion, I hadn't marked a file fully tested for every platform and wasn't notified about this in any way (except via a comment in the website, which I finally saw after several days). QA had passed for all the devices, but the file wasn't published because it hadn't been marked fully tested for some platforms.

3) After submitting an updated version of a file to QA, the QA details of the previous version are still shown in the QA details window, even when QA status is already In progress for the updated file. This is confusing, it would be better if the previous details were removed as soon a new file replacing the previous one is submitted.

4) Asha platform specific images (240x320 screenshots, 120x60 banner) don't allow alpha channel in PNG files even though there are no transparent pixels. For other screenshots, alpha channel is accepted, so it would make sense if these would work similarly.

5) It would be nice if somebody from the Publish team could check this discussion board every once in a while, and respond to questions and feedback.

I second N2, being notified would be very helpful.

Maybe the Emails we get could be changed slightly, for example if I update the content file and the meta data I get two emails, but both say exactly the same thing, could each email actually say what has being updated ?

Like,

Dear user,

Your Content Item ***** has being updated in Nokia store

and for the file

Dear user,

Your Content file ***** has being updated in Nokia store
    Check out my Symbian, Series 40 Apps on Nokia store !
    http://store.ovi.com/publisher/Allstar%20Software/

Nokia Developer Champion

i love it that we actually have someone from the publisher team reading the forum and replying, hasnt been that for a while.
    My issues are:
    * make the nokia store client app open when browsing to store.ovi.mobi in the browser.
    * more than 500 characters for the description
    * faster QA timees if possible
    * Crack down on apps that violates IP, Trademarks, Copyrights, etc ( i saw the other day this app by accident http://store.ovi.com/content/387031 and i'm angry because of stuff like this because i wouldnt never do it because its against the law and the store is full of stuff like this and it only hurts the legitimate apps developers)
    * maybe show info about % of installed apps and uninstallation (as you can see on some of the other app stores)

thats all i can think of now of the top of my head...
    Last edited by shai.i; 2013-09-02 at 21:26. Reason: added another issue/request

Just some improvements (or maybe I am missing something)...
    These days when creating a S40 theme, one actually creates at least 6 versions: Compact / Compact Wide / White-Text / TextType & then finally FullTouch.

Uploading these files to the publishing tool is fine, but the difficulty of matching device to theme template becomes something hard quickly do. S40 FP1 might have 4 devices that actually don't have a touch screen, so needs a completely different theme version. In the good old days, theme-templates would be standard amonst every range. But now we find with every range there are some devices that need specific themes. The end-point is that this is a tedious system, and even though one can import dist. CSV info from other items associated with that SKU, that makes no practical sense. Um, each of those your are pointing too have their own specific data that has nothing to do with what I want. I want a CSV import from other SKU's where I have already gone to the trouble of setting up a working distribution. After a few hits and misses we should have a pretty robust list of CSV. More importantly, we need some kind of tools to have a simpler visualization of devices covered. Quite a few people have accidentally given people inferior content because it wasn't obvious how old or capable a phone is. I must say I love the Nokia theme team, they really put the effort it!

Two Things:
    - I find the space for keyword translations quite short, especially when doing long languages
    - Nokia offers a service to translate (could be google +prootfreader) that we will pay for.
    - How can we view foreign app stores to see how our apps are ranking there.
    - The publisher name should also be included in standard search. If I search for a publisher name, I would rather go there then see link to games best suited for player listed first.
    - More stats on active devices and regions, sales trands - that will help us prioritize those & not feel slightly in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by breakdesign View Post
    - The publisher name should also be included in standard search. If I search for a publisher name, I would rather go there then see link to games best suited for player listed first.
    Agreed, that at least searching with full publisher name or more than one word of it should list applications for that publisher among the first results. Adding the publisher name to keywords does not work very well at least for me, because my company name consists of more than one word that are parts of some common English words, and even partial matches in description seem to override keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan
    Another issue with the 240x320 screenshots is that, unlike on DP2.0 devices, they are not completely visible on Asha 501. Due to the status pane taking space, the bottom part of the screenshots is not shown.

Quote Originally Posted by shai.i
    * Crack down on apps that violates IP, Trademarks, Copyrights, etc
    And while at it, maybe also remove obviously fake reviews from the store. It's funny to look at some applications getting a lot of 5-star reviews, often many in a row, from one or two device models, but generally getting much lower ratings.

One more thing about the Publish site UI I forgot when posting the original message: it would be nice if it would be possible to cancel editing a file's distribution and rollback the possible changes. It's easy to accidentally start editing a file when actually just wanting to check the devices supported by the file.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    Agreed, that at least searching with full publisher name or more than one word of it should list applications for that publisher among the first results. Adding the publisher name to keywords does not work very well

One more thing about the Publish site UI I forgot when posting the original message: it would be nice if it would be possible to cancel editing a file's distribution and rollback the possible changes. It's easy to accidentally start editing a file when actually just wanting to check the devices supported by the file.
    That really needs to be added, I did that by accident last week.
    Check out my Symbian, Series 40 Apps on Nokia store !
    http://store.ovi.com/publisher/Allstar%20Software/