Discussion Board

Question Getting Symbian source code for Belle?

(This question was originally put to Nokia support, who advised that the best way to get the attention of the right people was asking in the forums)

With the announcement that there will be no further releases of Symbian OS will Nokia release the code used to build Belle FP2? I've tried working with the old EPL code (eg http://sourceforge.net/projects/symbiandump/) but the mismatch between that and the current Symbian toolchain is substantial (endless compile errors, etc)

I appreciate that some of the actual apps and device adaptations nay have Nokia IPR that's still of interest beyond Symbian, but I'd hope that the core OS modules would be generally releasable (ie basically the same codebase that was already released under the EPL)

Thanks
    Tom Goodfellow

Super Contributor

Re: Getting Symbian source code for Belle?

I suspect that Nokia will not bother to release any more Symbian sources than they already have (i.e., the Symbian^3 release out of which the SourceForge stuff is a snapshot of, and even then, not the latest bits & pieces).

I also suspect that it won't make a difference whether you post here or the user support discussion boards, as I doubt that anyone with any decision power for such a move is either here or there. Of course, Nokia people here (just as well on the user boards) just might take this wish of yours and "kick it upstairs" to see what happens. (I wouldn't be surprised, if it'd be really, really hard to find anyone left at Nokia that would even know where to find the stuff, less what and how to repackage for re-release.)

Nokia Developer Moderator

if there was question (as indicated in the subject line), the answer would be that its not currently available, and I have not seen any plans to indicate that it would be available ever. Thus currently you should prepare that there is a good chance that the source codes will not be available, and instead you should try implementing your requirements in some other ways.

And to do so, you should define what it is that you would need to get done, then try searching solutions on how it could be done, and once you have problems on the implementation, then ask separate questions put into separate discussion treads in this Dibo. Also do remember to give as much information as you can, it often helps on solving issues.

Regular Contributor

So nokia just going to let Symbian RIP.Nokia could have just open source symbian like google did with Android.This would allow symbian to have a new life by other phone maker and nokia also need to remember it is nokia that give up on symbian not users.There is no point leaving it stagnant when nokia clearly announce that symbian is abandoned and seeing so no many effort on rewriting it.Anyway i don't see any future nokia with window with nokia so desperate that they even call s40 phone as smartphone.Symbian is the only reason I still active in this forum as it is here it all began otherwise I would have move on.

Thanks for replies - I rather agree with the skepticism that any effort will be expended on the retired platform now, though I like to fantasize that somebody ZIPped the source directory structure on a build machine from the final builds and will shortly reveal to us all which FTP server to find it on

(in principle the SF-style release should be easy since all of the source classification work was done, but in practice some of that has surely rotted, the people who knew how to crank out the export have moved on, and it would likely require an intelligent adult to look over new components to certify that they're correctly classified)

What I was actually trying to do was rebuild some comms-framework code from the SF dump but using the current Belle toolset, and when compiling with that gcc had errors like:

Q:/epoc32/include/platform/elements/nm_signatures.h: In static member function 'static Meta::MMetaType* Messages::TSignatureWithPolymorphicPayloadMetaType<TSIGNATURE, PAYLOADATTRIBOFFSET, TATTRIBUTECREATIONPOLICY, PAYLOADBUFFERMAXLEN>::NewL(const TAny*, const TAny*)':
    Q:/epoc32/include/platform/elements/nm_signatures.h:508: error: default template arguments may not be used in function templates

along with many hundreds of warnings, which presumably have all been fixed in the current Belle source.

Perhaps I can find some old SDK with tool versions that fit that source. But that means foregoing whatever fixes & improvements have occurred since (possibly even learning to love again the SBSv1 build tools...)