Discussion Board

Hybrid View

[moved] code to take screenshot in j2me

I want a working j2me code for taking screenshot of the canvas.. I have already searched the forum and got many codes.. I have tried all of them but none works.. So please give me a working code along with the paint method..

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: [help] code to take screenshot in j2me

there is no code to take the actual screenshot of the device.
    You can however (if your using canvas or gamecanvas) save an image of your own app screen.
    create an image with the dimmensions of your canvas using Image.createImage(width,height)
    save its Graphics object using Image.getGraphics();
    call your canvas Paint method with the image Graphics object.
    now you have a copy image of the canvas screen, now all you need is to save it as an image to the file system.
    You can save it as bitmap (which is the easiest since your saving each pixel data and there is no compression of any kind so just traversing over the Image RGB array)
    or you can save it as a PNG or JPG which means you will need to "encode" the image RGB data (which you obtain using Image.getRGB(...)) you can right your own or google for such (here is a png encoder that is good for j2me http://www.chrfr.de/software/midp_png.html i've tested it and it works)

I have already tested that and it also saves the image in png format to my memory card but the problem is that the image cannot be opened.

Nokia Developer Moderator

I suppose you are then saving it wrongly. So do check what was said on saving the image., Also you need to set the extension right, since who ever opens the image, likely will not use any data recognistion for opening it, and simply relies on the extension to match the actual data inside the image file.

About your previous message after converting the image into int[] if I save the image with .png extention will i work. And the png.java file's link you gave has a command toPNG() which my compiler cant recognize.
    Last edited by subha095; 2013-08-26 at 01:29.

Nokia Developer Champion

Sorry but i couldnt understand your message, can you please try and explain again what isnt working for you with the link i gave you and perhaps also attached your source code of your implementation of this.

Nokia Developer Champion

subha095: i can guarantee that it does work because i have used it in the past, infact you can check out my app Snowman Builder http://store.ovi.com/content/357751 that saves the image you create on the screen to the phone file system and it uses the same (with some extra stuff i've put it to make the PNG compressed)
    If you liked the app dont forget to give it a nice 5 star rating and if you need extra help i'm here.