Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Showing the Native Virtual Keyboard in S60 devices while using LWUIT

Hello All

I am using LWUIT for S40 for developing my apps. I am encountering problems while getting user input in S60 and higher devices.

1.) If I use LWUIT 1.5 , the VKB shown is very slow.It is so slow that sometimes it feels as if the app has got struck.
    2.) If I use LWUIT for S40, the native VKB is shown.However, the text that is entered gets cleared automatically within a second. I have tried repeatedly, but in vain. The entered text lasts hardly for 1-2 seconds and then vanishes!

If I use Display.getInstance().editString() method, a separate popup appears, which works perfectly.However, this is not what I want.I want the native keyboard to appear seamlessly in the same form without any issues.How can I achieve this? Why is it that the text in my text field,is getting erased instantly? Is it a bug in LWUIT ? I am aware that the support for Symbian and related devices have been stopped, but I wish to know if there is any particular way in which I can solve this issue.

Kindly help me.Thank you so much in advance

Regards,
    Arun.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Showing the Native Virtual Keyboard in S60 devices while using LWUIT

check this link - it might help - https://www.java.net//forum/topic/mo...ouch-devices-0
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Regular Contributor

Re: Showing the Native Virtual Keyboard in S60 devices while using LWUIT

Hi

I tried that.It was not of much use.I contaced Shai itself and he said it is not possible to do so in S60.I ended up using Display.getInstance().editString() itself.

If anyone is interested to know how we can launch the native keyboard instead of the Default VKB of LWUIT in S60 Touch Devices, use the following

Disable VKB : Display.getInstance().setDefaultVirtualKeyboard(null);

Override pointerPressed method of the TextField/TextArea and call the edit string method there.You will have a popup dialog wherein you can enter the text.It wont be seamless, but you will get the native keyboard.