Discussion Board

Problems with Asha 311 & friends

I am having problems with S40 Developer Platform 2.0 devices. I just did an upgrade of two of my games ; both of them work on all Symbian devices, DP 2.0 and Asha 501 devices. Both of them hit strange issues on the DP 2.0 phones. Now I don't have such a phone myself (just ordered one from the developer Program, but they say it's going to take 4-6 weeks to ship it).

One of the games failed QC on the DP 2.0 devices because supposedly of runs out of memory during startup. Hmm - when i run it in the emulator, Diagnostics tells me that just after startup, the app uses about 500KB and it never uses more than 800KB. AFAIK heapsize of most of the DP 2.0 devices is 2MB (Asha 311 - 4MB and that one supposedly runs into OutOfMemoryException as well) I have also checked the app on Asha 311 and 309 phones in Remote Device Access and it starts and runs just fine.

Another app passed QC, but users on the DP 2.0 devices now complain accelerometer doesn't work anymore (the game is controller by accelerometer). I have downloaded a .jar and a .jad back from the Store and run that on an Asha 311 in Remote Device Access, on the Asha 311 emulator and on the real Symbian devices I have and everywhere accelerometer works just fine (even though I cannot use the accelerometer in RDA I can see in my app's UI that it got detected successfully which doesn't match users story - they complain the app says it couldn't find software support for the accelerometer ) Previous version of the app didn't have any problems with accelerometer on any devices and I am 100% sure I didn't change anything in this area. I did add quite a few resources which must have increased memory footprint noticeably - that's the only thing that comes to my mind.

This one is a tough one as well without access to the real device - does anyone have any idea why real DP 2.0 devices would behave differently than the ones in RDA and the emulator?
    Last edited by Utumno; 2013-08-29 at 01:08.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Problems with Asha 311 & friends

Hello Utumno

I cant help much here but the first sanity question to ask or check is the firmware version, may be the firmware version is different and thats why you have so many discrepancies !!

I am not sure why the second issue is caused.But for the first issue , I would like to point out that Out Of Memory occurs not only when the heap space runs out, it also happens when too many instructions are queued up for the EDT to perform.This mainly happens after a blocking call (like network operation,I/O operation etc..) is performed on the EDT.

Put all blocking/processor intensive calls on a separate thread and see if it helps.

Nokia Developer Champion

I have also seen such Out-of-memory problems due to I/O operations in the main EDT thread..... check your access to accelerometer - is it creating lot of data points on DP2 which is causing this on real devices...
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Nokia Developer Champion

Hey Utumno,

Regarding your first problem, i have a several real 311 phones and if you want i can check the game for you (see if i get OOM) you can post the links to the jad/jar here (if the game is free or send me via PM if the game is paid).
    Regarding the second problem you said you download the jar & jad and tested on a real symbian device and it worked but that doesnt make sense if those files were ment to be used by Asha FT devices then they would need the sensor (javax.microedition.io.Connector.sensor) permission while the symbian devices will fail the app if such permission request is present.

Nokia Developer Champion

Any news on this? On the Nokia Discussions for end users, there are some reports with similar symptoms. Might be a bug in firmware update versus firmware refurbish. Or a problem with the background task manager.