Discussion Board

What are all the options for installing an app/Xap on Windows Phone?

I can't find a comprehensive list of all options for installing WP apps onto devices (i.e. for testing purposes).

It would be great if we could have a good wiki article covering all the options for delivering and installing apps - particularly covering cases where people don't have Windows 8 and developer account / developer unlogged device. This should also include the new side loading which was announced early August by Microsoft. Finally, it should be designed with "beginners"/non coders in mind.

So, what are all the options?

Does anyone here have the time and expertise to write this. If not, I can, but it would help if you guys could confirm all the options and provide links to best external references on these you've seen.

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: What are all the options for installing an app/Xap on Windows Phone?

Hi Hamish!!

Actually, you can do This in two ways: sideloading or private beta:
    Sideloading: You need to have your phone registered as Developer phone for Deploy / sideload apps XAP directly from your computer to the phone, using the "Application Deployment" app included in the wp8 SDK. Now, if you don't have a Developer Account, you can unblock ONE device for Development using your LiveID and the "Windows Phone Developer Registration" app, which also is included in de wp8 SDK.

Private beta: The other way of deployment could be a private beta. The Developer of the app can publish the app under "private beta", This means no certification is issued and within some hours he/she have a link to the app that can be used to install it on any device Without Developer registration needed. You only need to provide your LiveID to the Developer (the one you are using on your device) so he/she can include it in the "private beta" submission, and voila! you can install the app Without problems.

That's are the options you have to sideload to a device an app under Development.

Another option, if you only want to test the app is to use the wp8 emulators. the "Application Deployment" app used to Deploy to a physical phone can be used also to Deploy to all the Windows Phone Emulators instaled with the SDK so you can test the app in all three resolutions and with low/high memory.

Hope This help Hamish!!
    Last edited by josueyeray; 2013-08-29 at 08:46. Reason: some format editing

Nokia Developer Champion

There's also corporate deployment when you're WP8 device is part of a Windows Server domain.

Thanks very much guys!

I'll look out for someone else creating this article, or try to do it myself when I have time.

Nokia Developer Champion

I created an article on the topic here: http://developer.nokia.com/Community..._Windows_Phone

I'm sure it can be improved both in regards to it's format as well as in regards to it's content. Please let me know if anything is unclear or missing. The reference to the Windows 7 Hack for WP8 deployment might be controversial.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    I created an article on the topic here: http://developer.nokia.com/Community..._Windows_Phone

I'm sure it can be improved both in regards to it's format as well as in regards to it's content. Please let me know if anything is unclear or missing. The reference to the Windows 7 Hack for WP8 deployment might be controversial.
    Great start to the article. Although I don't mind the bit about trying to run the WP8 SDK on Win7, it is a bit messy for an average user to try - and if they have issues with the SDK, they'll have no support. It's so much easier to get Windows 8 and live in the present

Nokia Developer Champion

...particularly covering cases where people don't have Windows 8 and developer account / developer unlogged device.
    I decided to include it because it was mentioned in the original question here. I'm open to suggestions on how to improve that part - currently I went with the warning beneath. I originally intended to put the whole block as a quite but somehow the Wiki was not happy with me trying to put a link inside a note-block.
    Last edited by SB Dev; 2013-09-05 at 11:25.

Excellent job. I've subedited slightly for readability and structure. Really appreciate you taking this on.

With respect to the WP7 section, what you have done is not "bad". Another option might be to have WP7 in a separate section?

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    the Wiki was not happy with me trying to put a link inside a note-block.
    The wiki cannot cope with the "=" sign in any template. You can replace this with HTML code if needed (as I have done in the added SeeAlso blocks.) Multiple paragraphs of text don't (always) work all that well either in templates.

Again, much appreciated SB Dev, theothernt.