Discussion Board

How to give the app permission to use network on S40

It always show dialog to ask the permission to use the internet, when I press no, an error dialog show up. How to handle this?

- Is there any ways to give internet permission?
    - If it has to ask permission every time, how can I handle the flow when I press no.(Error Dialog should not show,but inform user instead) Is there any code example?

Thanks,
    April

Re: How to give the app permission to use network on S40

Hi

All J2ME apps need to be certified in order to use a particular Resource (say Camera,Contact Access,File or Network Access ec..) without restriction.When an application is not certified, the application will prompt the user everytime before the resource is accessed.

Nokia Store offers free certification.Users will have the option to always allow your app to use a particular resource.Hence you can be assured that this wont be a problem after publishing.

Whenever "No" is pressed, security exception is thrown.You can catch that exception and alert the user that he has to give yes.But be warned, once if a user presses "No", he cannot change it back to "Yes" in the same instance.He will have to restart the app to set the permission as "Yes".

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by April_Smith View Post
    It always show dialog to ask the permission to use the internet, when I press no, an error dialog show up. How to handle this?

- Is there any ways to give internet permission?
    - If it has to ask permission every time, how can I handle the flow when I press no.(Error Dialog should not show,but inform user instead) Is there any code example?

Thanks,
    April
    Best way to handle this issue on S40 devices is to educate the user on the first launch of the application itself - that he need to allow the required permissions - and select allow always (if available - it will be available for certified/signed apps).

In case, even after educating the user - they press No. You should capture the Security Exceptions and show a dialog to the user to exit and re-launch app - after setting the required permissions for the app.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by arunkam View Post
    Hi

All J2ME apps need to be certified in order to use a particular Resource (say Camera,Contact Access,File or Network Access ec..) without restriction.When an application is not certified, the application will prompt the user everytime before the resource is accessed.

Nokia Store offers free certification.Users will have the option to always allow your app to use a particular resource.Hence you can be assured that this wont be a problem after publishing.

Whenever "No" is pressed, security exception is thrown.You can catch that exception and alert the user that he has to give yes.But be warned, once if a user presses "No", he cannot change it back to "Yes" in the same instance.He will have to restart the app to set the permission as "Yes".
    Thanks you Arunkam