Discussion Board

FlashLight in WindowsPhone 7

Hi,,

I am working on windows phone 7 Flash light application. I have used the torch light sample application class to implement the required functionality in my application. For that I am using Videocamera class. Please see the following piece of code

Assembly mediaExtendedAssembly = Assembly.Load("Microsoft.Phone.Media.Extended, Version=7.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=24eec0d8c86cda1e");
    Type videoCameraType = mediaExtendedAssembly.GetType("Microsoft.Phone.VideoCamera");
    ConstructorInfo videoCameraConstructor = videoCameraType.GetConstructor(new Type[] { cameraSourceType });
    _videoCamera = videoCameraConstructor.Invoke(new object[] { cameraSource });

// Set the properties and methods.
    _videoCameraLampEnabledPropertyInfo = videoCameraType.GetProperty("LampEnabled");
    _videoCameraStartRecordingMethod = videoCameraType.GetMethod("StartRecording");

public void StartRecording()
    {

// Invoke the start recording method on the video camera object.
    _videoCameraStartRecordingMethod.Invoke(_videoCamera, new object[0]);
    }

Using the above code it was able to set the flash light on. Inorder to stop the flash light, I have added following lines to the above code.

_videoCameraStopRecordingMethod = videoCameraType.GetMethod("StopRecording");
    public void StopRecording()
    {
    _videoCameraStopRecordingMethod.Invoke(_videoCamera, null);
    }
    ie: By passing null as a parameter it was able to stop the flash light. Like this way I am turning ON and OFF the FlashLight for 2 to 3 times. But If I navigate from the current page to next page and comes back to the flash application page ,it is crashing at the time of Initialisation.

ie: while calling the line,

_cameraVisualizerSetSourceMethod.Invoke(_cameraVisualizer, new object[] { camera.InnerCameraObject });

I couldn't dispose the video camera objects. Couldn't free its resources. Even if I set null to videocamera object ,its not getting deinitialised. Could you please tell me how to free its resources.
    Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aswathy.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: FlashLight in WindowsPhone 7

Without looking at the API in detail I'd say that there is a "Dispose()"-method on the _videoCamera object. So calling _videoCamera.Dispose() should make it release it's resources.

Is there a specific reason why you are loading the Assembly using Reflection and are doing all the invocations using Reflection instead of simply using a reference to the Assembly in your code and invoked the methods normally?

Re: FlashLight in WindowsPhone 7

Hi Dev,,

Can't use Dispose() function as there is no built in function for _videocamera object.
    I am declaring the videocamera object as follows.

Private object _videoCamera;

and _videoCamera doesn't have any built in functions for disposing.

So I tried the following code:

_videoCamera = null;

GC.Collect();

These lines make the app somewhat stable. But it would be nice if u could suggest a better method for this.

thanks,
    Aswathy.