Discussion Board

Translation Help

Hello,

Lately, My app's reviews are "please translate to that language" in market. So I decided to make my app free for a week in that language if translation completed.

In the other hand, why don't we help each other to translate our applications?

For that purpose, I think that the best service is GetLocalization. It's free and comminity based. It supports many kind of document included ".resx"
    Here is my app page http://www.getlocalization.com/QuickScan/

Post here your translation page, I'm happy to help translation in Turkish.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Translation Help

I did about 80% of french translation, but apparently it wasn't saved ...

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Loukt View Post
    I did about 80% of french translation, but apparently it wasn't saved ...

good luck
    I'm sorry to hear that , what happened? Didn't you save them or there is a problem with service?

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Nokia Developer Champion

Just tried it with german and there simply seems to be no save button and furthermore no message to the user that everything will be discarded when he clicks on start page (I was looking for a save button, so I tried looking there). In it's current state I can not recommend using that page.

Another problem with translating is that sometimes I'm not quite sure how to translate a given text as I'm missing context as to where the word will be used.

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    Just tried it with german and there simply seems to be no save button and furthermore no message to the user that everything will be discarded when he clicks on start page (I was looking for a save button, so I tried looking there). In it's current state I can not recommend using that page.

Another problem with translating is that sometimes I'm not quite sure how to translate a given text as I'm missing context as to where the word will be used.
    In editing view, It notifies if you didn't save it. Also you can press "Save & Go to Next" button. But you are correct about .txt files editing, I send feedback about it. It's confusing.

Also, you are right about you don't know where given text used in application.

It isn't good solution but it's the best compared to others I can found. Does anyone know better solution?

Nokia Developer Champion

Is there any way to perhaps include Screenshots somehow of the main pages? I believe that would help a lot with some of the labels.

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    Can you please send a screenshot via http://support.getlocalization.com how you see the editor and what browser you are using so we can check what is happening there. Other feedback is also welcomed. Edit: it came to our attention that there was indeed something wrong with Internet Explorer when editing the text file. It should be all right now.
    Last edited by pmuilu; 2013-09-03 at 11:09.
    http://www.getlocalization.com - App localization made simple. Crowdsource or go private.

Perhaps an exchange of translating services between hobbyist developers (zero budget), where the app is released in beta form, a document describing the behaviour and the resx file processed through (Google translate or something similar) I feel confident I could correct automatically generated English with app to play with. I have no translation needs at the moment but am happy do a reasonable job with English.

Regular Contributor

While I've had some issues getting it to work in a PCL, in a plain WP8 app, the Multilingual App Toolkit is pretty amazing. It connects to some service (I don't know which) that does a pretty good job of translating English to French automatically. Since I know French, I can at least verify that. What really impressed me is that all of my text strings were medical and scientific terms and the service still got it mostly right. I believe out of 80 or so strings, I had to edit 5 of them.

Check out Google Translator Toolkit too:
    https://translate.google.com/toolkit

It also creates initial translations automatically (via Google Translate?), and has a nice web ui for collaborative editing of the translations.