Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Cool How to send Toast Notification into the app integrated with toast notification SDK

How to send Toast Notification into the app integrated with toast notification SDK gets published.

Please be free to ask me any query if you are having any doubts about my post /question.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to send Toast Notification into the app integrated with toast notification S

Is it something what is not answered in your older thread, http://developer.nokia.com/Community...kevent-handler, especially focusing on the links in #11?

Re: How to send Toast Notification into the app integrated with toast notification S

Hi,

I understand that you want to send toast notifications after you published the app, right?
    Read this article and you will understand how to integrate them into your app:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx

Have a nice day,
    Last edited by ADU; 2013-09-03 at 14:45.
    Alex Manolache

Regular Contributor

sorry to repeat the same mistake Iam GTO_India My query/ doubt is For a appllication on the emulator Iam able to send toast with the Send Toast using the generated ChannelUri.

Now How about the ChannelUri after publishing of the app.

Will the ChannelUri remain constant /same even after.
    Last edited by SKUMAR; 2013-09-04 at 05:40.

Regular Contributor

sorry to repeat the same mistake Iam GTO_India with other user ID It is compeltely different from the query last time I asked.

Iam asking How to send Toast after the app gets published?

Problem si with the Channel Uri?
    Last edited by SKUMAR; 2013-09-04 at 05:39.

Super Contributor

Stlll all of you not getting my question /exact query?

I am eagerly waiting for my app to publish with notification SDK

Nokia Developer Champion

If I understand correctly you want to know if the channel URI generated on the Emulator will be reachable after a user has installed the App, so that you can use a single URI to send notifications to all users. I have no practical experience with the Push Service but looking at the documentation it seems that each client (installation) will generate a unique URI.

So after your App registers for the Push channel you will have to make it register it's URI somehow with you/your website. The reason is that in many instances individual users will have to be contacted via Push (e.g. they received a PN, etc.). Therefore you will have to keep a database of registered URIs and if you have to notify all users you will have to loop over all the URIs and send the notification to every one of them.

see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.105%29.aspx

Hope the information helps. Otherwise it would be nice to hear a little about your use case (what kind of information are you trying to transmit, how is it triggered, etc.).

Super Contributor

Ok your info is helping me

Tell me How to register my app's s URI with my website. If each client (installation) will generate a unique URI.

Initially I have integrated Toast notification SDK (following the link below) into my running App or published App and it is working fine on the emulator

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...vs.105%29.aspx

Now I want to publish that App and push notificatons . Please guide me .

Nokia Developer Champion

The sample you have linked does show the notification URI for that particular device in a MessageBox. You will have to somehow transmit the data to you instead. The easiest way would perhaps be to send it via a WebRequest to a WebService. With your WebSite I mean your own server that is later on also used to push the notifications.

Ok, so... lets see if I can make it a bit more clear for you

The concept of push notifications is that you have a service somewhere that will send users of your app notifications of some sort. So lets say you want to send a user a notification that includes a message like and updated game score. Something like: "Real Madrid 8 - 0 Barcelona". This is usually done using a toast notification. Speaking of witch there are different types of notifications. You should read about the options and use whats more appropriated to you. Just keep in mind that there are size limits and number of push notifications active on a phone. So between all apps you cant have more than 30 channels open for push notifications.

Anyway... going forward.

The Push notification is a 3 party game. You have a phone with your app. You have the Microsoft Notifications Service that provides the infrastructure. And then you have your Server app. By server app I mean an app that will send the notifications out and that is controlled by you. Here there are some limits also. For example, if you have your services running under HTTPS you can send out unlimited notifications per phone. But if you have a regular http address then you will be limited to 500 message per day per phone. Not a bad thing, unless of course we are talking about a social network thing or a chat app for example. I know people that manages to exchange thousands of messages per day. Dont ask.

Nest step is to implement the notifications code on your app. This will require you to register the user/phone with the notifications server from microsoft. Each phone has a UNIQUE ID. There is no way to share the same ID between phones. So when you app running on a phone registers for notifications on the Mircrosoft Notifications service, that ID (or URI as you prefer) is unique.

Then you need to send that unique URI to your service. Or your server app. In this case you would have a webserver that would get the registration from the phone where you would include on the process the URI that you just got, and some extra information. Its advisable that you include some extra information so you know to what type of device you are sending the notification. OS version, Phone Model for instance are good examples. Dont store user personal data unless the user agrees with it and knows what you store. In fact you will need to include a Privacy policy on the App or else you may fail certification.

So in fact what will happen is that you will keep a list of all registered users of your app that activated the push notifications (itsgood pratice to allow users to activate it or not)

Now you have a server app with a webservice that collects the users that will get notifications, right? The next step is to send a notification to someone or everyone right? Right. So what you need to have is an app on the server that will initiate the process. Push notifications are initiated by the server, not requested by the phone. So the server where you store your app will have a service or an app that runs from time to time and that sends out the notifications. But your app cant communicate directly with the user phone. What happens is that you open a channel to the microsoft notifications service and you basically tell microsoft server to send a notification to a certain URI. The server queues it for delivery and takes care of the rest for you.

Tip: If you have your service running under HTTPS you can get a call back from the service so you may actually know on your app if everything went ok, Never done it, so dont know how this one works.

So... to sum it up... you need:

a) a windows phone app
    b) a server app with a webservice (to get registrations) and a scheduled task or trigger (to send out notifications)

Then what happens is:
    a) the app on the phone registers with notifications service to get a unique URI
    b) the app registers that URI with your app by invoking your webservice (and you send some extra information if needed also)
    c) your server app, whatever ir may be, sends notifications to the notification service
    d) the notifications service sends the notification to the phone associated with that unique URI
    e) your user on that phone gets the message
    f) if you are using a HTTPs connection you will also get a call back notification to your server app from the notifications service (i think )

Anyone please correct me if I said something wrong or needs more clarification.

I strongly recommend that you also take a look at the Windows Phone 8 Jumpstart series, and specifically this one that discusses push notifications: http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Buil...-Notifications

Super Contributor

what do you mean by WebRequest to a WebService?

which acts as my own server? Is it my App integrated with Toast notificaton SDK already ?

Super Contributor

Let me make all of you clear that I have two things mainly ready

1)My application's .sln (miscrosoft Visual studio solution) integrated with toast notification sdk

Creating a push client to receive toast notifications

2)Send Toast Notification SendToast

Now Iam able to send a toast message from an ASP.NET page to my Windows Phone App on the emulator .

Please be brief on what's next if I want to publish and then push notification to the users devices.

Super Contributor

can be please little brief on it further i.e How to create or build actual server so that my app can report it the Push URI required to access the instance of the App

Nokia Developer Champion

No, you will need an actual server that is reachable via the Internet so your App can report to it the Push URI required to access that instance of the App (there is a separate URI for each installation of your App).

Hi GTO_India...

The notifications service is only the infrastructure needed for users to get a unique URI and deliver notifications that YOU need to send from your back-office app. By back-office I mean an app that is running somewhere in a public server that you need to create and deploy. You have to make that happen. The windows phone app alone does not work.

So you will need to create 2 projects:

a) windows phone app that you publish on the store
    b) server app that deals with user registration for notifications (webservice) and that delivers the notifications to the notification server

I think your confusion is that you are thinking that you only need to develop the Windows Phone app. Thats not correct. You need to have a server side app that will maintain and deal with receiving the registered URI for notifications and that will issue the notifications to the notification server. When you are sending an notification you need to target each device individually. Thats why each device has a unique URI. You dont have a unique URI per app. Its per APP per Device.

So you will have to host your app somewhere. For that I would strongly suggest that you take a look at Azure Mobile Services.

Did you saw the link I included on my last message?

I'm not sure what else I can tell you without doing it for you.

EDIT: Take a look at this article and this library. It will make things a bit more clear and will help you understand the process. And on top of that it includes a helper library to use server side. http://blogs.windows.com/windows_pho...r-library.aspx
    Last edited by joaocardoso; 2013-09-06 at 11:07.