Discussion Board

Sensors while screen off

Hi

I'm developing an app where I will need access to gyroscope while the screen is off. A lot like a run-tracking app, but not relying on GPS but gyroscope. But when the phone is off the sensors API is unavailable according to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...05%29.aspx/css

Is there any way to work arround this? I'm willing to use whatever third-party libraries that might help.

Best regards,
    Martin

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Sensors while screen off

Actually, those docs refer to a Background Agent, which is different from your app (which is considered a Foreground app).

Normally, when a user locks their phone, your app is suspended to save battery life. If you wish to ignore this and have your app keep running while the phone is locked, use UserIdleDetectionMode. The official docs have a great overview...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx

Nokia Developer Champion

A scheduled Task would not work for your App anyway as by it's nature it only runs in fixed intervals of 30 minutes for 15 seconds maximum. There are two ways to approach your problem:
    1.) Make your App run under the lock screen, see [http://developer.nokia.com/Community...poldid=183830& here]
    2.) Make your full App run in the background, see [http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...v=vs.105).aspx here]. I don't know if the scope of your App will allow it to fall under the exception in certification requirements as a location tracking App

Are you by chance trying to do a Step Counter?

PS: Theo was faster

We've actually tried that, and you're absolutely right - this way we can stop the screen from timing out, however it'll consume a lot of power and it's very likely that a lot of interresting stuff will happen with the device in the pocket Also, if the user presses the power switch of the phone the app can't use sensors API anymore

Nokia Developer Champion

The first option that SB Dev mentions is the best and only real practical solution.

- Neil

We've just tried the sample and yes, the music is playing under the lock screen, but we made an instance of gyroscope that detects a shake of the phone and stops the mediaelement on the shake. This works while the phone is on, but when the phone is off and the music is still playing fine, the gyroscope dosn't detect the shake

Nokia Developer Champion

What are you seeing in the Debugger if you try this. Are there no more Events with readings from the Gyroscope? I'd have guessed that under the lock screen the App should continue to work as usual but perhaps that isn't true, looking at your findings so far.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by developroc View Post
    We've just tried the sample and yes, the music is playing under the lock screen, but we made an instance of gyroscope that detects a shake of the phone and stops the mediaelement on the shake. This works while the phone is on, but when the phone is off and the music is still playing fine, the gyroscope dosn't detect the shake
    Have you changed the UserIdleDetectionMode property of the app’s PhoneApplicationService object to Disabled ??

Also I think this only works if your app was the app running when the lock screen is engaged. So basically your app must be the foreground app when the screenlock is activated. (not tested).

Nokia Developer Champion

I can at least confirm that: yes, your App must be open (on display) when the lockscreen is engaged for it to keep running (under the lock screen).

The gyroscope event dosn't fire after the lock screen comes on. It seems that Windows Phone disables the Microsoft.Devices.Sensors API while the screen is off