Discussion Board

Exceptions while connection to WebService (ioexception 28 and 29)

Hi.
    I am developing an S40 App thet needs to receive information from a webserver.
    In the emulator everything works fine. However, in the mobile (Asha 311 with firmware version 07.36) , following problems arise:

Even though mobile has WiFi connected, mobile doesn't send nor receive info through webservice. it keeps ignores WiFi and I get
    java.io.IOException: 29-Error in HTTP operation “Network Link is disallowed to use and closed”

If I use Mobile data connection, mobile is able to send info through web service but unable to receive
    And I get following error:
    java.io.IOException: 28-Error in HTTP operation “Network Link closed”

Any idea how to solve this?
    Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Exceptions while connection to WebService (ioexception 28 and 29)

Give your application - permissions to access data network from settings and check the network connection availability via device browser.

Issue with Wifi on this device & firmware is also report others - test on any other device.

see- http://developer.nokia.com/Community...lability-check
    Last edited by im2amit; 2013-09-06 at 09:01.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by happyhippyhippo View Post
    Even though mobile has WiFi connected, mobile doesn't send nor receive info through webservice.
    Make sure to create a preferred access-point in Settings » Configuration. Even without any valid APN, then Series 40 kicks in Wi-Fi. On Wi-Fi, you should be able to debug this with Wireshark (and an Wi-Fi access-point which allows packet capturing, or a Ethernet switch with port mirroring).

HI Traud.
    Thanks for your message.

According to your suggestion I tried:

Settings > configuration
    > personal settings I created a new "WiFi access point" with bearer settings as they appeared - (mob. data acc. point = internet, network type = IPv4 and authentiction type=normal, left username and password empty)
    > default config. sett: Vodafone (operator); - i left it as it was
    > default in all apps: Vodafone (operator); - i left it as it was
    > preferred access point: after creating "WiFi access point", I chose this access point (the original one was vodafone Internet - that I kept but not as the preferred one)
    also tried to leav

Things are still the same:
    When the app tries to access http, I get the message: "No network coverage" and then, the message,
    "MObile Data connection to internet has been turned off. Go to Settings > Connectivity > Mobile data to turn it back On"

Should I try something else?

Cheers,
    Dinis

Nokia Developer Champion

Try commercial J2me apps like Opera Mini or WhatsApp on this device, switch off Mobile data connection and use WiFi - if these apps work on wifi then the problem is in your code -check the code which is throwing this message - "No network coverage" and then, the message,
    "MObile Data connection to internet has been turned off. Go to Settings > Connectivity > Mobile data to turn it back On"
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

HI im2amit
    Thanks again for your input - I already tried Opera Mini (after one of yur comments on other thread).
    After first step of "install", it places the Opera Icon on the start screen but as I launch it, it has the same problems:
    several messages of ""No network coverage" and then, the message,

It is looking like a device issue. I already posted a bug on nokia developers (http://developer.nokia.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=1342) but they do not answer.

I was hoping that this idea from Traud would work but it didn't (still I am not sure if what I did was what he was meaning).

Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dinisbr View Post
    I already posted a bug on nokia developers
    That section is dead. If you need immediate help, you have to buy a support ticket.
    Should I try something else?
    Yes, you created an account for socket connections. For HTTP you have to create a Web/Internet account as well, which points to the preferred access-point. Do not forget to activate it via Options. That should do. It did for everyone, yet!

Hi Traud.

Thanks. It works. found some good info on that here: http://developer.nokia.com/Community...ries_40_phones

Now I have another issue, if anybody would like to help - I need to provision that to customers. Is there a way for me to make a .prov file to change those settings in a fly?
    I already searched for info but got no luck.

Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

You can do it via Smart Message send to the device using SMS channel from your app.
    For details of Access point provisiong message format try http://vallejo.cc/proyectos/envio%20sms%20english.htm
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Thank you Amitabh.
    The link seems to direct to info I needed - I am not such a pro that I will try to send via SMS (I have a physical gateway where I can put a SIM but don't know how to send SMS in such a low level - that will be next step. By now, I'll send via BT.

I am still trying to figure out how to build the xml - in the link you gave me, there are links where to learn how to do that. I'll try it - I'll check examples, and try to buld my settings and see if it works.

Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

In your application, if you reach the where the user is not able to connect to internet - ask him if he is trying to use Wifi (which is working for device browser) if yes then you can use J2me WMA API's to send SMS to the same device asking the mobile # from user and send the required APN info over smart message from your app to the device - ask the User to save the settings they get on the SMS and restart the app.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh

Thanks again Amitabh.
    That is great advice. I will use it when I get there.
    (So far I am still trying to build the xml config).

Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

I need to provision that to customers. Is there a way for me to make a .prov file to change those settings in a fly?
    Open Mobile Alliance Client-Provisiong (OMA CP)
    However, I doubt you are able to create such a document (otherwise I would have already). All these settings stuff rely on the access-point name (APN) of the used network operator. You would have to send the correct settings for every network operator of your customers, each. Actually, this is a problem of just a few default configuration. Although few is relative. More about this in the Nokia Support Discussions ...

Or stated differently: If you mess around with the configurations of your user’s phone, you are doing something wrong (normally).
    Anyway, if you have a fixed set of network operators, and a prov is still an option, there you go …
    Last edited by traud; 2013-10-22 at 12:04.