Discussion Board

Here maps API base plan limits clarification

Hi everybody.

I'm considering adding some mapping capabilites to an application I am developing, but after reading about the usage limits for the base plan and searching for clarification on the web, I am still not clear (maybe I'm in disbelief), and that's why I need your help.

The Licensing and terms page says that the base plan includes 'unlimited 2D Map Tiles': This might seem trivial, but I prefer to ask: what exactly are 'map tiles' and how it is useful to have them 'unlimited'?

The aforementioned article also says that the base plan has a limit of 2500 2D maps a day: If the system uses the App_id and App_token to track usage transactions (as stated here) it means that the 2500 daily limit is per application and not per user of the application (I know that's what it says, but I just refused to believe it), which means that if the App had only 500 users, and each user makes just 5 map requests, my App would have reached the daily limit. If this is correct, then the base plan can only be used for development/testing, and one should pay for a different plan before going live.

If I understood correctly, these limits are too restrictive, when compared to the previous Map Image API which allowed 1,000 map rendering requests per unique IP address every 24 hours.

Could someone please confirm my understanding, or correct me if I'm wrong about the usage limits for the base plan?

I appreciate any answer/comments ( but please do not send me to the Licensing and terms page, because I have read that page several times in the last two days ).

Thanks,
    -CarlosDL

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Here maps API base plan limits clarification

use the contact us button in: http://developer.here.com/plans;jses...9EAF18AEBA9FCF for more information. Indeed the usage is limited, though not certain whether its forced as such at the moment. Anyway, the contact you could reach from the page suggested would know the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    use the contact us button in: http://developer.here.com/plans;jses...9EAF18AEBA9FCF for more information. Indeed the usage is limited, though not certain whether its forced as such at the moment. Anyway, the contact you could reach from the page suggested would know the answers.
    Ok, I'll do that. Thank you.

If anyone else has something to add, please go ahead.
    -CarlosDL

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cadlg View Post
    .... reading about the usage limits for the base plan and searching for clarification on the web, I am still not clear
    I would agree that the way the limits have been presented until now has been less than optimal. Fortunately your timing is very good, since the developer.here.com website has just been updated to help clarify this.

what exactly are 'map tiles' and how it is useful to have them 'unlimited'?
    Map Tiles are the basis of any Tile Map service solution - a TMS in the jargon. This typically splits the globe into 256x256 pixel tiles with 1 tile at zoom 1, 4 at zoom 2, 16 at zoom 3 and so on. If you are panning a map over part of the globe these map tiles can be cached and redisplayed should you go back over the same area. The HERE Maps API for JavaScript and Enterprise HERE Maps API for JavaScript, are examples of APIs which rely on map tiles. It is useful for them to be unlimited since you wont have to pay for that aspect of the service. These are the usual APIs to create an interactive map on the web.

The Map Image API (which is the one you refer to hereafter) is not a TMS. It returns an annotated map with markers and so on in response to an HTTP request.
    (i.e. a picture of a static map). There is an alternative product which is a TMS where it is possible to request tiles directly using the Map Tile API

The aforementioned article also says that the base plan has a limit of 2500 2D maps a day: If the system uses the App_id and App_token to track usage transactions (as stated here) it means that the 2500 daily limit is per application and not per user of the application (I know that's what it says, but I just refused to believe it), which means that if the App had only 500 users, and each user makes just 5 map requests, my App would have reached the daily limit. If this is correct, then the base plan can only be used for development/testing, and one should pay for a different plan before going live.
    With the updated website, the request limits can be found here, which is 2,500 images on the Base plan. Click on the contact us button to negotiate higher limits.

If I understood correctly, these limits are too restrictive, when compared to the previous Map Image API which allowed 1,000 map rendering requests per unique IP address every 24 hours.
    The old OVI documentation is out of date, and quite possibly incorrect (it could be a typo for example), usually anything on projects.developer.nokia.com is still a beta product. The Map Image API is the proper release of the same API just re-branded to HERE. As you would expect, Nokia reserves the right to amend and correct the limits as necessary, and I assume a commercial decision was made when setting the current limits
    Last edited by jasfox; 2013-09-12 at 08:18.

Thanks for the detailed answer, Jason.

I see the post was moved. Maybe that happened because of the documents/APIs I referenced, but I'm actually working on a Java ME App, to which I'm considering to add some map-related features (that's why I originally posted it on the' Maps API for Java ME' forum).

I'll look into Jason's explanations and links carefully, and will post back if necessary.

Thanks,
    -CarlosDL

Quote Originally Posted by jasfox View Post
    ...There is an alternative product which is a TMS where it is possible to request tiles directly using the Map Tile API ...
    It seems that the Map Tile API documentation is not available for 'base plan' users (which is odd, because the base plan provides unlimited tiles). When I click on the above link I get a message saying 'Web documentation is only available to HERE Platform or evaluation customers'. Then another message says 'Please sign in to view documentation for web APIs.', even when I'm already logged in.
    -CarlosDL

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the detailed answer, Jason.
    .....but I'm actually working on a Java ME App, ..... posted it on the' Maps API for Java ME'
    The T&Cs and the API you originally referenced is the Map Image API - hence the move. However the fact you are working on a Java ME app changes things significantly. There are several ways to get a map onto a phone, and you need to pick the API to do the most appropriate job for your users.

You have three choices here:

In all but the simplest "snapshot of a location" type cases I would recommend the third option, since the API uses the Map Tile service under the hood caches tiles in memory and reserves appropriately modified base map tiles with any overlays you want. The advantage here is threefold. Firstly you greatly reduce network traffic leading to lower costs for your users and creating a more responsive app, secondly you don't have to second guess the "best" map to server your users - if the user needs to pan to the left a bit or zoom out for context he can do so, and thirdly (an perhaps most relevant to this thread ) because the app is using tiles its T&Cs will lie under the "unlimited" option rather than the 2,500 images option

Quote Originally Posted by jasfox View Post
    In all but the simplest "snapshot of a location" type cases I would recommend the third option, since the API uses the Map Tile service under the hood caches tiles in memory and reserves appropriately modified base map tiles with any overlays you want. The advantage here is threefold. Firstly you greatly reduce network traffic leading to lower costs for your users and creating a more responsive app, secondly you don't have to second guess the "best" map to server your users - if the user needs to pan to the left a bit or zoom out for context he can do so, and thirdly (an perhaps most relevant to this thread ) because the app is using tiles its T&Cs will lie under the "unlimited" option rather than the 2,500 images option
    Great.

You are very helpful, Jason.

Thank you !
    -CarlosDL