Discussion Board

Unhandled exception when trying to run the tutorial code in the emulator.

Hi,

i've tried to write an directX app for WP8 from this article: http://developer.nokia.com/Community...irectX_Toolkit

Doing everything exactly as described there, when i try to run the first part in the emulator (Part 2: where there is only a ball) , the program crashes while loading the app with the exception:

Code:
    First-chance exception at 0x774D277C in DirectXApp1.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: std::exception at memory location 0x00E9F030.
    Unhandled exception at 0x71584F23 (Msvcr110d.dll) in DirectXApp1.exe: An invalid parameter was passed to a function that considers invalid parameters fatal.
    Here is the snippet from the call stack:

I double-checked all the steps and i was using the VS project template.
    I would be thankful for any help.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Unhandled exception when trying to run the tutorial code in the emulator.

You may want to check some things: if anything works with the emulator (just create a simple project and start it), and if anything DirectX works on the PC.
    While it is a bit unrelated, I am an adept gamer and I started experiencing all kinds of DirectX and MSVCR issues after applying the most recent Windows Update 'fixes'.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    You may want to check some things: if anything works with the emulator (just create a simple project and start it), and if anything DirectX works on the PC.
    While it is a bit unrelated, I am an adept gamer and I started experiencing all kinds of DirectX and MSVCR issues after applying the most recent Windows Update 'fixes'.
    I've tried all the simple template projects and they run fine in the emulator. I'm afraid it has something to do with the fact that the article was written in 2012 and the template that is the base for the application, have changed a bit for the course of a year. The fix is probably very easy but require a deep knowledge of directX/async programming that i do not have. That's why it would be the best to get the opinnion of someone who encountered similar problem.

It turns out it was a little typo in the article that caused the error. Topic to close.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tomiLEEjones View Post
    It turns out it was a little typo in the article that caused the error. Topic to close.
    Did you happen to correct the mistake in the wiki article? if not, just let us know where the mistake is and I'm sure someone will update it