Discussion Board

Best serialization strategy for complex objects

I need to serialize a custom control, which is divided into Control.xaml and ControlModel.cs (of course the XAML contains just the view and it's bound to the ControlModel which has the properties).

The ControlModel contains a List<CustomControl> where CustomControl can be any of a set of custom controls that I built (each custom control extends this CustomControl class used in the list).

So, serializing the control will require me to serialize this list, and here's the problem:
    provided that each CustomControl is built using a XAML file and a model (which is defined as a static resource into the XAML), what's the best way to serialize all those components?

I'm finding it hard because I don't know how to work with both XAML and model.
    I mean, I know that I need to serialize just the model, as serializing a view makes no sense, but how can I then deserialize the model and assign it to the view again?
    And how can I just serialize the model if I'm serializing a list which contains the UserControl childs?

Keep in mind that those custom controls have simple properties (the most complex property used is just a Color).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Best serialization strategy for complex objects

You may want to add custom serialization for both the class with the List and to the classes which it can contain. Something what is described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../ty01x675.aspx or http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ializable.aspx

Since there's no binary formatter available on Wp, does this work with SharpSerializer or similar stuff?

Nokia Developer Champion

If it supports WP7, which it appears to do - then yes.

Also, you might want to look into ServiceStack.Text which is an extremely fast JSON serialiser.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by StepTNT View Post
    Since there's no binary formatter available on Wp, does this work with SharpSerializer or similar stuff?
    Honestly I do not know. I remember ISerializable from my past, and I was clicking around on MSDN until I found something. But I have no SDK here, so I could not check if it was real (and actually it was hard to find, and I see the message on the top that it is coming from a different part of the docs).
    Now I tend to think there is still an XmlSerializer, just dealing with XML is neither fast, nor compact. SharpSerializer in binary mode sounds a lot better, so does seem their benchmarks.