Discussion Board

javax.microedition.pki.CertificateException

Hii
    I am subscriber of nokia developer. I need your help. Actually i am using nokia X2-00. My problem is when i try to download any image, video from whatsapp there is always note shown on display that 'javax.microedition.pki.CertificateException: Certificate was issued by an unrecognized entity'. Please give me solution on this problem..

Regular Contributor

Re: javax.microedition.pki.CertificateException

Hi Jerry,

I doubt there could be anything you can do right now,if the certificate used in the app is not available in your phone.I think it is best if you contact whatsapp support about this issue.

and this is a discussion board for 3rd party app development.You will get much more info about service based issues from their corresponding support team than here.In the future,Kindly post under relevant category as well to help you better.

Regards,
    Arun

As Arun suggests it is best if you contact whatsapp support about this issue.

As a rule this site is for developer questions, not product support.

Nokia Developer Champion

Jerry, several bugs can cause this:
    A) your list of certificate authorities could be corrupt, either by deleting one accidentally or by a faulty file system or by a faulty firmware update
    B) your SIM contains a bug and blocks the phone internal certificate authorities (this gets more and more common, nobody cares right now)
    C) the server has installed a wrong certificate (no intermediate, not valid anymore, wrong certificate authority)

Path B means every single SSL/TLS connection fails, the internal web browser (of your model) should give a warning right at the start. That is because the internal web browser of yours is already the Ovi Browser or now called Nokia Browser which does this proxy, compression stuff. For this a SSL/TLS connection is opened with a Nokia seres in the USA. For other models, you have to access at least a SSL/TLS page for example https://www.nokia.com

Path C is a problem of WhatsApp (your app provider) because they have to make sure everything is installed correctly. Do not think this is going to be solved after time. Even Nokia has several webpages with broken certificates, and they do not fix it although I notified Nokia months ago. The easiest way is to use a Nokia of a friend, and his phone uses the same operating system than yours (Series 40). If he does not have a problem, path A is very likely. If he has the same issue when using your SIM, path B is very likely.

Path A is your problem, or better a problem of your phone. You would need a refurbish of the complete firmware, or you go this path …

Trick number one: Check the date on your phone! To verify a certificate, this has be correct. Nokia Series 40 does not allow you to proceed as other operating systems do.

Great answer Traud. Is there any wiki article already summarising how to debug these issues? (ie can't see one, and wondering if you think it is worth creating such?)

Nokia Developer Champion

I am still collecting cases. In the Nokia Support Discussions we have so, so many of these reports – there must be a case D. Furthermore, I refrain a bit from creating a Wiki because this is partly a end-user support issue. I would be more than happy to chat/phone with a professional from Nokia Support, beforehand. Perhaps, you have connections there to enable such a chat. Nevertheless, this certainly is worth an article, I think either here at Nokia Developer or at Nokia Support.

Quote Originally Posted by traud View Post
    I am still collecting cases. In the Nokia Support Discussions we have so, so many of these reports – there must be a case D. Furthermore, I refrain a bit from creating a Wiki because this is partly a end-user support issue. I would be more than happy to chat/phone with a professional from Nokia Support, beforehand. Perhaps, you have connections there to enable such a chat. Nevertheless, this certainly is worth an article, I think either here at Nokia Developer or at Nokia Support.
    I'm trying to find out a good support channel to talk to. Will get back to you when I do.

If I can't, I'd propose you create the wiki article anyway because IMO it would still be useful even if not exhaustive.

Hi Alexander

Juha sent you an email on this topic, asking if this FAQ is sufficient. Can you please respond (IMO this covers only one of the fail cases, and even that could be improved by integrating some of your wording)

Regards
    H
    Last edited by hamishwillee; 2013-10-30 at 22:42.