Discussion Board

NetworkManager error dialogs

I have an app using LWUIT for Series 40.

I'm using NetworkManager to do some image downloads. When an image no longer exists at the given URL, I get a 403 Forbidden error, which results in an annoying popup dialog message.

The server error itself is fine...how can I make NetworkManager not do this annoying popup?
    Last edited by james.harpe; 2013-10-01 at 18:29.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: NetworkManager error dialogs

Remember that LWUIT is open source.
    A Google search for NetworkManager.java quickly locates the source, and also shows that it is not dealing with HTTP result codes. However after clicking back to the package and checking other files there seem to be a ConnectionRequest.java (https://java.net/projects/lwuit/sour...onRequest.java), which indeed deals with HTTP stuff. After a few page downs there are some checks for HTTP result codes, ending with a call to handleErrorResponseCode, which is located in the same file, and it shows the error message, if no one else handles the error. However you can be that someone else, and set a responseCodeListener (addResponseCodeListener).

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Remember that LWUIT is open source.
    A Google search for NetworkManager.java quickly locates the source, and also shows that it is not dealing with HTTP result codes. However after clicking back to the package and checking other files there seem to be a ConnectionRequest.java (https://java.net/projects/lwuit/sour...onRequest.java), which indeed deals with HTTP stuff. After a few page downs there are some checks for HTTP result codes, ending with a call to handleErrorResponseCode, which is located in the same file, and it shows the error message, if no one else handles the error. However you can be that someone else, and set a responseCodeListener (addResponseCodeListener).
    Ah, great! Thank you.

Nokia Developer Champion

yes wizard gave you the correct answer but in some of my own applications i actually use my own network manager class , a simple one which performs simple http get and post using HttpConnection class and some more threading stuff.

The benefit of using such a class is if your operation fails then you have all the control of what to do like showing a default image in your case !!