Discussion Board

Question Test environment without touchscreen for S40 DP1?

My Developer Pack 1.0 app is in acceptance testing and I can't find a suitable test environment for me to reproduce the client's results. They only want to use handsets that have physical softkeys and no touch screen, such as the 206 they're testing with. My problem is that Nokia doesn't seem to offer any emulator or Remote Device Access for such a phone. The emulator that came with the DP1 SDK is an X3-02. When I ask RDA for DP1 phones, it gives me a choice between an X3-02 or a C3-01. The client is reporting UI issues that I can't reproduce on these phones because the UI (based on LWUIT) behaves differently with a touchscreen.

"So get a 206" you say? Not so fast - I'm in the US. The 206 and every phone like it are incompatible with the weird GSM bands the mobile networks use here. This app needs network access to do anything useful. The only DP1 handsets I've found that work with American networks are...the C3-01 and the X3-02!

Has anyone else run into this problem? Can anyone suggest a solution? Right now I'm changing stuff blindly and then having the client alpha-test it via overseas conference call...there has to be a better way.

Re: Test environment without touchscreen for S40 DP1?

Probably you have already thought about these things, but just in case:

1) Try if the issues can be reproduced with RDA non-touch devices of an earlier platform (for example, C3-00/6th edition). If LWUIT version you're using not compatible with the older devices, can you just comment out the non-compatible parts?
    2) Can you make the app think that it's running on a non-touch device and reproduce the issues, even though it's in reality running on a touch device? With small changes to LWUIT you probably could do this and emulate arrow and select keys with other keys. Issues with soft key handling might be harder to debug this way.
    3) Get a 206 and return hardcoded "data from network", instead of actually connecting.

Thanks for the advice TongMuan! I don't know how I missed the C3-00. Looks like the C2-05 comes in a version that might also do the trick.

Nokia Developer Champion

Nokia 210 is another alternative, because it offers Wi-Fi like the Nokia C3-00, but even allows on-device-debugging (ODD). The Nokia 301 and Nokia 515 are Quad-Band in GSM and work in the US as well. Furthermore, you could feedback to the RDA team to add such devices.