Discussion Board

is there a method to request specifically a "voice call" and not just a call?

Hi all.

I am am developing a dialer and, to request the call, I am using the method described in this page: http://developer.nokia.com/Community...%29_in_Java_ME

It works fine but if the user

1 - has an internet call account provisioned
    2 - has set the his call type preference to "prefer net call" (settings > calls > call type setting > prefer net call)
    3 - is not registered to his voip server (eg - lack of WiFi or 3G connection) - meaning that Internet call is not possible,

this scenario makes that the call doesn't go forward (User sees a circle going around on the header area).

Otherwise, the app is ok because if user changes point 2 to "prefer voice call", the dialer works.
    In the same way, with above scenario, if the user dials directly in the dial screen, the mobile is able to understand that the preferred call method is not available and uses the normal voice call).
    It seems that when my app requests the call, the phone looses this ability to choose the type of call.

Is there a way for me to request specifically a "voice call" and not just a call?

Thanks again for all the help.

Cheers

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: is there a method to request specifically a "voice call" and not just a call?

Go through - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2806.txt

You may able to define type for your call using tel:
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Re: is there a method to request specifically a "voice call" and not just a call?

Hi.

I followed your link and did not find info that would solve my issue.
    I already do a platform request using "tel:" ( platformRequest("tel:" + number).

I think I did not express well my problem. Both types of call are voice calls but using different providers (operator or voip).
    So, when I wrote, voice call, I should have wrote "voice call by operator" and when I wrote internet call", I should have wrote "voip voice call".

When the app makes this request, the telephone decides which call type will make (depending on user settings - if user has a voip account set up with higher priority than "operator voice call, telephone launches an internet voice call (voip voice call). If the higher priority is an operator voice call, telephone launches an operator voice call.
    The problem arises when internet voice call has higher priority than operator voice call but it is not available to (e.g. user set up voip available only on wifi and wifi is not available) - in this case, telephone gets stuck not being able to move to second option (lower priority) which would be an operator voice call.
    NOTE that when a user dials directly on the telephone (not using my app), the telephone is able to make that decision and moves to second option.

So, to go around this problem I would need something like

platformRequest("tel:" + number) but that would also specify that the call needs to use the operator voice call...

Can you now see the problem? Or am I missing something from the doc you linked?

Cheers,
    Dinis

Nokia Developer Champion

Not aware of any solution, either. Of course this is a platform bug and should be reported via a support ticket!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinisbr View Post
    if the user dials directly in the dial screen, the mobile is able to understand that the preferred call method is not available and uses the normal voice call
    Which phone did you test? I was not aware of that feature, yet.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-10-23 at 09:12.

HI Traud.
    Thanks for your insight.
    I am not sure how to report with a support ticket -in the other post (http://developer.nokia.com/Community...391#post928391) you told me that the bug feature is dead, would I need to pay 100 eur to open a support ticket? this is a bug - actually Nokia should pay us for finding these things .
    Anyhow seems that nokia guys are hibernating - no one replaying to anything.
    Fortunately there are guys like you and im2amit but well - you can't do anything against bugs.

I tested this on a Asha 311. I am building a voip service and so far have not many customers using Nokia. I would like to use Nokia and advise them to my customers because voip stack is really good (good voice quality - much better than what one gets in Android) - and I like Nokia. However, there are all these bugs and tricks are making me get disappointed - apart from developing we have to goose-chase completely unexpected behaviors due to bugs and bad manufacturer implementations - without any support from Nokia.

I am hoping new asha 500, 502 and 503, which seem to have voip, come with these things solved.

OK moving forward - how should I report this bug- not wanting to spend 100 Eur and not writing on a dead bug reporting form?

Cheers, thanks again and apologies for being cranky.
    Dinis

Nokia Developer Champion

would I need to pay 100 eur to open a support ticket?
    Yes, that is the way it is done in Nokia land.
    If your are member in a Premium Developer Program (PDP) you get a small amount of tickets for free. These programmes are for free if you meet certain requirements.
    I am building a voip service.
    Why do you need a Java MIDlet then?
    You could use the internal SIP stack. For this, you send a WBXML as SMS. This works great in Nokia Series 40, I do this myself to provision my phones. If your current VoIP services does not run via SIP, add an Asterisk as media proxy. Even this works great here, even with SIP over TLS and SRTP, even with Nokia Series 40.
    I am hoping new asha 500, 502 and 503, which seem to have voip, come with these things solved.
    Since yesterday, you are able to download the Asha Software Platform 1.1 emulator which is based on the Nokia Asha 502 and test yourself. It features a complete VoIP/SIP stack and even a configuration-interface for end-users via the account app.
    how should I report this bug- not wanting to spend 100 Eur and not writing on a dead bug reporting form?
    End-user customer support. That takes around one to five years until your bug reaches the phone’s firmware. Five years, when your bug slips through – normally after five years, some part is re-written such tremendously, your bug disappears by itself.
    if the user dials directly in the dial screen, the mobile is able to understand that the preferred call method is not available and uses the normal voice call
    I tested this on a Asha 311.
    Yes, you are right, that works since the Nokia 6300i – I did not know that to be honest. A voice call works this way. I just use USSD which still do not fall back automatically. Once again, this USSD bug is there since the Nokia 6300i. Anyway, as you see, I did not meet your bug because I did not try, yet.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-10-23 at 09:11.