Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nokia dropping support for MeeGo + Symbian apps starting Jan 1 2014

http://my-meego.com/?p=8179
    I think this comments itself.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia dropping support for MeeGo + Symbian apps starting Jan 1 2014

What about signing? This makes impossible to sign a new application or update existing application even if it's distributed outside Nokia store. I fully understand why this decision is made but Nokia should at least make possible for the developers to sign their new applications and/or the updates to existing applications in some offline way, which won't require any expenses on Nokia's part (with the corresponding legal "we don't have any responsibility for this content" notice of course).

Disappointing news, didn't expect this to happen so soon.

Does dropping Symbian support also apply to new/updated J2ME content, even if the same JAR works (and is tested for the store in any case) on Asha devices? Probably.

The least thing Nokia should do now, if they really disallow publishing of new apps and updates for Symbian and completely end the signing service, is to provide a way for the the more advanced users and hobbyists who still want to stick with Symbian, to install applications that need extended capabilities, without the need for official signatures.

One possibility could be a Nokia-provided safe way for disabling the install-time requirement of Nokia/Symbian Signed signature for some or all of the extended capabilities (similarily to how "hacks" work). Another thing that might work would be giving out development certificates that are not locked to specific devices and UIDs (not sure if this is possible), that way developers could sign the applications once and users could install them, but would see the "development use only" warning during installation.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    Does dropping Symbian support also apply to new/updated J2ME content, even if the same JAR works (and is tested for the store in any case) on Asha devices? Probably.
    That is unlikely. If an application is distributed for supported devices, why it would get removed?
    provide a way for the the more advanced users and hobbyists who still want to stick with Symbian, to install applications that need extended capabilities, without the need for official signatures.
    That would be nice of course, just do not forget that there is a Microsoft in the background...

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    That is unlikely. If an application is distributed for supported devices, why it would get removed?
    Then if symbian app still got so many sales especially top app with nokia also taking 30% cut in revenue why both platform support still got removed?Nokia is getting erratic and crazy month by month since the burning memo.Who know when nokia will suffer relapse as happened previously and decide also to remove symbian from j2me.Nokia statement is not trustworthy when they themself is in mess.No more Mr.Nice guy word from me since my time in nokia developer won't be long.Its a matter of time before symbian and Qt related also removed in this forum and nokia developer site.In that time there no more reason to stay with nokia developer.

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Then if symbian app still got so many sales especially top app with nokia also taking 30% cut in revenue why both platform support still got removed?
    There is no "then", these are two different things. My remark is not about the reasons, just the mechanism:
    - Symbian support is removed from the Store => there will be no distribution for Symbian devices via the Store
    - Asha / Series 40 support is continued in the Store => applications distributed for Asha / Series 40 devices will remain being distributed for Asha / Series 40 devices. Of course if they were distributed for Symbian devices too, that part of the distribution can not continue

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    - Symbian support is removed from the Store => there will be no distribution for Symbian devices via the Store
    A small correction from my interpretation

If you have Symbian and MeeGo content in the Nokia Store, it will continue to be available for download to customers, and you will continue to receive download and revenue reports as well as payouts for downloaded content. However, starting January 1, 2014, you will no longer be able to publish any new content or update existing content for Symbian and MeeGo. - See more at: http://developer.nokia.com/Blogs/New....iZU13Y7D.dpuf
    From my understanding, its like the content will be frozen(whatever is there will continue to exist..atleast till the next announcement for changes whenever they are decided), only that you wont be able to provide updates or new content. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks Neil, you are right. Apparently some of us (including me) did not succeed with reading the announcement completely.

EDIT: maybe TongMuan also read it correctly. If your concern is about removing items distributed for Symbian, just because you are updating the items for Series 40 / Asha, I think it can be solved via having separate JAR-s for the devices/platforms. It is supported already.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2013-10-05 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    only that you wont be able to provide updates or new content. Correct me if I am wrong.
    ONLY!!!!!How is developers suppose to provide bug fix and patch when there is an API change if they cannot update the app.All these situation is make worse by there is no way to sign the app that use higher capabilities.Now antivirus app like netqin will have no way to provide update even if they want to because they cannot sign the app which use manufacture capabilities.What a disgrace and distasteful method to force developers to switch platform.

ONLY!!!!!How is developers suppose to provide bug fix and patch when there is an API change if they cannot update the app.All these situation is make worse by there is no way to sign the app that use higher capabilities.Now antivirus app like netqin will have no way to provide update even if they want to because they cannot sign the app which use manufacture capabilities.What a disgrace and distasteful method to force developers to switch platform.
    Please do not take a part of my statement to make it look like I meant it in a light way. My intention was to provide information in a well formed English statement which according to me I have done.

And quite frankly I have never felt a need of an 'anti-virus' for my Symbian phone

Nokia Developer Champion

From what i understood regarding the email is that only Symbian apps and meego apps (i.e. native apps) wont be able to updated any more,
    however j2me apps (even those that target only sybmian devices) will be able to be update.

correct me if i'm wrong but thats how it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    And quite frankly I have never felt a need of an 'anti-virus' for my Symbian phone
    I know at this stage no hacker would even interested in symbian anymore.My anti-virus is example for app that need to use manufacturer capabilities only nokia can approve its use.Because anti-virus need a low level access,i just use it as example.

I know at this stage no hacker would even interested in symbian anymore.My anti-virus is example for app that need to use manufacturer capabilities only nokia can approve its use.Because anti-virus need a low level access,i just use it as example.
    I have been having a Symbian phone for a very long time now (For seven years as a serious developer on that platform too and a few year before that as a user) and I have not had any anti-virus at any point till date(Except for a few moments in terms of minutes on the Nokia E7). So its not about 'anymore' in the context of your statement. Anyway, although the example was bad, I know what you are trying to say.

Hi all

I am curious to know if what shai mentioned in #12 is true.Can S40 developers publish apps for S60 and later devices after Jan 2014 ?

Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast