Discussion Board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nokia dropping support for MeeGo + Symbian apps starting Jan 1 2014

Publishing the Symbian app on OTA etc. should be possible i suppose. The publisher ID need has already been eradicated(implying that Express signing doesn't require it anymore), so only if Symbian Signed website remains live (allowing users to make new accounts etc.), then people may Express sign the apps & sell them then anywhere, but as the announcement also says that Symbian Signed services will also be stopped, which obviously won't allow the thing i mentioned.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Vineet, while I did not read the post correctly for the first attempt, it explicitly says
    Quote Originally Posted by blogpost
    The Symbian Signed program will also close on January 1, 2014.
    It might mean the Symbian part of the Nokia Publisher Programme (e.g. signed by Nokia, distributed via the Store), but for some reason "Symbian Signed" is written there.

Quote Originally Posted by TongMuan View Post
    ---
    Does dropping Symbian support also apply to new/updated J2ME content, even if the same JAR works (and is tested for the store in any case) on Asha devices? Probably.
    ---
    Yes, also Java app submission to Symbian will be closed in the year change.

Quote Originally Posted by da32x View Post
    What about signing? This makes impossible to sign a new application or update existing application even if it's distributed outside Nokia store. I fully understand why this decision is made but Nokia should at least make possible for the developers to sign their new applications and/or the updates to existing applications in some offline way, which won't require any expenses on Nokia's part (with the corresponding legal "we don't have any responsibility for this content" notice of course).
    You can publish a Symbian application as long as you can self-sign it, via your own site.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by seppo_fn View Post
    You can publish a Symbian application as long as you can self-sign it, via your own site.
    But wouldn't that display the warning : "Application is for development use only" etc..

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by seppo_fn View Post
    Yes, also Java app submission to Symbian will be closed in the year change.
    Seppo: are you absolutly sure of that? its not clear from the email message they did not discuss the devices themself but rather the apps.
    If what your saying is true then that is truely bad... even for the java developers and i dont see a reason for it to be so since there is no overhead of signing the java apps for symbian (they are signed the same way for asha and for symbian)

Quote Originally Posted by shai.i View Post
    i dont see a reason for it to be so since there is no overhead of signing the java apps for symbian (they are signed the same way for asha and for symbian)
    It is not the signing, it is the testing.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    This makes sense but what about making the submission of new app/update to be paid (20-30 USD or so) like in the test houses before. For the free apps there may be requirement for at least x downloads per month or something like that. Surely, there will be enough work and money for 1-2 testers on full time and the users will be happy that there are new versions/updates of most popular apps. This also will ensure new updates for at least the profitable apps in the store. Also, this will be very easy to implement as Nokia has the needed infrastructure in place and also the human resources.

Regular Contributor

Can someone explain is symbiansigned service is going to closed or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Does this mean symbiansigned is not closed as we read in the developers blog?In the blog sate that "If you have any unused paid technical support tickets, you may use them for Windows Phone or Asha developer support." If not mistaken it is symbiansigned that handle technical support but now they don't

Yes,but what about app that need System Capabilities,Restricted Capabilities and Manufacturer Capabilities which need nokia as manufacturer verification.

Quote Originally Posted by da32x View Post
    This makes sense but what about making the submission of new app/update to be paid (20-30 USD or so) like in the test houses before. For the free apps there may be requirement for at least x downloads per month or something like that. Surely, there will be enough work and money for 1-2 testers on full time and the users will be happy that there are new versions/updates of most popular apps. This also will ensure new updates for at least the profitable apps in the store. Also, this will be very easy to implement as Nokia has the needed infrastructure in place and also the human resources.
    These decisions do not come on an ad-hoc manner, and somewhere in the background the story may simply be that Microsoft does not want Nokia to support alternative smartphone platforms at all. Creating some random criteria to pass, in addition to the existing ones, certainly would not simplify life anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post
    Read. The quotations. Too. In #17 and in #22.

Quote Originally Posted by babylongreece View Post

Does this mean symbiansigned is not closed as we read in the developers blog?
    What is there in the blog is the official information, what is discussed here is more of interpretations and clarifications. So what you read in the blog and understand is indeed correct.

Nokia Developer Champion

I'm not certain wether Microsoft's influence is already reaching that far. They tried to stop the rumored Lumia tablet and failed with that given that regulatory approval is still missing for the whole transaction, so Nokia still has to plan for the eventuality that the acquisition won't be completed. A strategy of scorched earth would be very problematic in that regard.

However it's unfortunately quite common for App Stores of discontinued OSes to be spun down rather sooner than later (see e.g. the Windows Mobile Store).

Quote Originally Posted by SB Dev View Post
    I'm not certain wether Microsoft's influence is already reaching that far.
    Given the direction of the story, one might end up considering Stephen Elop as a kind of influence.
    They tried to stop the rumored Lumia tablet and failed with that
    While I do not know what you mean exactly, it is still easy to point out that even on the very first read I would assume that a Lumia tablet would run Windows 8.x, RT or Phone. All of them are technologies which Microsoft certainly would not want to kill for now.
    A strategy of scorched earth would be very problematic in that regard.
    I still remember the burning platform memo and what happened to Maemo/Meego. They came 9 and 4 (3?) months earlier than any WP device was available from Nokia.

So I get it right that the ONLY way for developers that have apps requiring more than Self-Signed capabilities is to require the user to hack his phone (or install a hacked CFW) to be able to install unsigned apps? I mean sorry, but from any point of whatever (user, security, ...) this simply CANNOT be it, can it?