Discussion Board

..., Earth, Brazil, Paraiba, Campina Grande

Publishing apps with NAX Ads and Location service

Hi all,

I'm going to publish an application that has support to Location services and i'm also using NAX Ads with this application.

According to the item 2.7.4 of App Policies for Windows Phone (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.105).aspx) the application must request permission from user before share his current location (including advertising).

But, this topic of NAX (https://inneractive.jira.com/wiki/di...s-locationprep) says that the SDK send the Gps location automatically if the Location service is enabled.

My question is:

How can i disable this feature of NAX?

I believe that exist a lot of store apps that support both NAX Ads and Location Service. How they work?

Regards,

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Publishing apps with NAX Ads and Location service

Can't look into the code right now but given that you have to include a C-Sharp code file (InneractiveAdLocation.cs) to your project to enable location based Ads I guess you should have a look at the code in there. It's somehow activating the location tracking using the code in that file, so perhaps it can also be configured there.

Another possibility is to prevent the whole App from running in case the user doesn't allow it to use Location Services (especially if it is an App that for it's primary functionality requires location tracking).

..., Earth, Brazil, Paraiba, Campina Grande

I saw this file (InneractiveAdLocation.cs) and I guess it is just a helper class, used to add the location service feature in my application (If i don't already use it). It's not my case, I already have the location service feature enabled in my application (including a GeoCoordinateWatcher instance running).

My question is about this note of NAX documentation [Note: in case the location services is already turned on (see here), there is no need to add this parameter (the mentioned parameter is Key_Gps_Coordinates), the SDK itself will send the right coordinates]

About the another mentioned possibility. These are different things: Allow Location Service and Allow sharing of position data.

For now, my only solution is: If the user doesn't allow to send the position to NAX, the ads won't be shown at all. But the option to show ads without send location to NAX would be nice.

Nokia Developer Champion

When looking at the example code provided by Inneractive for location based Ads they give this sample for a method that displays the Ad using the Location Tracking:

void iaLocation_Done(object sender, IaLocationEventArgs e)
    {
    if (e != null && e.location != null) {
    try
    {
    optionalParams.Add(InneractiveAd.IaOptionalParams.Key_Gps_Coordinates, e.location);
    }
    catch (ArgumentException ex)
    {
    System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("Location problem: "+e.location);
    }
    }
    InneractiveAd.DisplayAd("MyCompany_MyApp", InneractiveAd.IaAdType.IaAdType_Banner, LayoutRoot, 60, optionalParams);
    }
    Given that they are adding the location to the optionalParams it to me looks like you will still have to manually feed the location data into the Ad control so wether your App in general is using location data or not is not the issue. Unless you specifically set the location parameter the Ad will not use the location. The .cs file mentioned above indeed only provides a helper to aid you in implementing the required functionality (of getting the location to use it inside the Ad).