Discussion Board

Use SDK to reproduce Ivory Effect from Creative Studio

Hi,
    I'm trying to use the Nokia Imaging SDK in my own app to add an effect similar to what you get when you choose the Ivory effect in Creative Studio.

I couldn't see Ivory as one of the named filters in the SDK. Does anyone know if there are any pre-set filters and/or effects that can be used to reproduce this? It's sort of in-between greyscale and sepia. Here's an image with the filter applied:

Ivory image JPG

Thanks!
    Last edited by mafue77; 2014-01-24 at 19:45.

Re: Use SDK to reproduce Ivory Effect from Creative Studio

The picture you posted looks very similar to Grayscale from my observation. Could you post the original picture as well, before the ivory filter was applied? That way we can play around with it to see if we can utilize a combination of the existing filters to produce the same effect. Maybe using the Grayscale filter along with some other filter like brightness, sepia, lomo, etc. will do it.

Although, you may just be wanting a different Grayscale algorithm. From what I can visually tell, it appears that the SDK is using this weighted average algorithm: (0.2126 * red + 0.7152 * green + 0.0722 * blue) There are others you could experiment with implementing here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayscale

This article has a good overview of how to implement custom filters, and includes an application of the algorithm I mentioned above.
    http://developer.nokia.com/community...ia_Imaging_SDK

Re: Use SDK to reproduce Ivory Effect from Creative Studio

Thanks Rob,
    Here's a side-by-side comparison with the original image, with paint.net's grey scale version inset in the middle.
    Compare

I tried added sepia over the top but it went too brown, so I think it's probably a 'yellowy' grey scale, which I should be able to achieve using the algorithm and technique you posted.