Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Bug in Nokia example code (rss reading jquery.jfeed.js)

Hello developers,

I found an error in example code from Nokia. The code is used in several example projects, and it is in the code for reading a feed.
    It is for example in the news reader example, in the file "jquery.jfeed.js"

I think the bug will cause that the feed reader does not accept gif as media, but instead other types.

Look at this:

Code:
    if(media.length > 0 && jQuery.inArray(media.eq(0).attr('type'), ['image/gif', 'image/jpeg', 'image/jpg', 'image/png'])) {
    }

Problem is that the jQuery-Method inArray() returns -1 if not found. Otherwise it returns the index of the found element. So it returns 0 for "image/gif" and this evaluates to false.
    See api.jquery.com/jQuery.inArray/

The $.inArray() method is similar to JavaScript's native .indexOf() method in that it returns -1 when it doesn't find a match. If the first element within the array matches value, $.inArray() returns 0.

Because JavaScript treats 0 as loosely equal to false (i.e. 0 == false, but 0 !== false), if we're checking for the presence of value within array, we need to check if it's not equal to (or greater than) -1.
    So the code need to be corrected to

Code:
    if(media.length > 0 && (jQuery.inArray(media.eq(0).attr('type'), ['image/gif', 'image/jpeg', 'image/jpg', 'image/png'])) > -1 ) {
    Regards

Karsten Meier

Regular Contributor

Re: Bug in Nokia example code (rss reading jquery.jfeed.js)

I see this bug still in WebTools 3.0.1 released today, at least in the "NewsReader" example.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Bug in Nokia example code (rss reading jquery.jfeed.js)

Thank you for the report, I hope that internal moderators (Ilkka and Jason saw this report according to the bottom of the page) forwarded the issue somewhere.
    The presence of the bug in the new version is pretty normal, releasing a tool is (hopefully) a more detailed process than "hey, it builds at last, I just zip it and push it on the Web site". So it was probably ready for time, gone under some testing and/or waiting for Nokia World.